Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was on vacation one of our office Macs (Snow iMac -- 500 mhz model I believe) that's used by our sales associate had taken a crash and wouldn't boot anymore -- the disk icon with a "?" kept popping up during startup.

Since I wasn't available to do a reinstall, they brought in a technician to fix the problem. For some reason, they installed OS 9.1. When my boss asked why, the techie replied that OS 9.2.2 causes problems like the iMac crash, so he installed OS 9.1.

I've never heard of this and frankly think it sounds like a load of crapola.

So does anyone out there know what he's talking about and why?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I dont know much about it being OS 9.2, but that exact same thing happened to my Snow iMac 500 DV, but it was running OS 9.1

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I think that's a load of crappola, heh. I doubt Mac OS 9.2.x had anything at all to do with the iMac's crash.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I had read that Apple suggests using 9.2.2 for OSX only,
But if you aren't going to use OSX then it's recomended
that you only upgrade as far as OS 9.2.1.

I've never had any problems with OS 9.2.2 by itself,
If anything I've had an improvement.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I run 9.1 at the office and 9.2.x at home... No real difference except my home box feels better... Though My G4 is faster than my office Macs anyway... So it is hard to tell....

9.2 was recommended as a stepping stone to OS X....
9.1 is fine if you are staying there but that is not a good reason to avois 9.2

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
If you are using a video card then you may need OS
9.2.2 to install the drivers, I knew that there was
something I forgot to add about OS 9.2.2

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
As far as I know, 9.2 pretty much just adds support for Classic mode in OSX. If you aren't running OSX on the same machine, It's my understanding that 9.1 is the same thing but may cause fewer problems on G3 machines.

With 9.2 and some G3s you must insure the OS is installed on a partiton in the first 8GB of disk space, or the Mac may not boot.

I agree that incremental updates should be run on the OS, but since 9.2 only shipped on Macs that also came with the early versions of OSX, I think you could consider that particular version a tidy-up release to get along with OSX.

I know this because my G4/400 came with 9.2 pre-installed but for months there was no 9.2 update available from Apple for users of older machines.

We are seeing a similar thing with the OSX 10.2.7 version installed on G5 Macs today; the newest OS from Apple for older machines is 10.2.6, and I wouldn't be suprised if it stayed that way until 10.3 comes out.

Perhaps the best answer is to install 9.1 and then see what happens if you run software update on it.

[ September 19, 2003, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
With 9.2 and some G3s you must insure the OS is installed on a partiton in the first 8GB of disk space, or the Mac may not boot.
This is incorrect. This rule only applies to the Beige G3's, and it doesn't apply to Mac OS 9.2 - only Mac OS X. Mac OS 9.2.x will install on any part of your hard drive in a Beige G3, while Mac OS X under these machines must be installed within the first 8 GB of your hard drive. Also, you won't have the problem of your Mac (Beige G3) not booting if you don't do this, because the Beige G3 (in the OS X installer) won't allow you to install OS X in the first place if it's not on the first 8 GB.

if you don't plan to upgrade to OS X, there's generally no reason to go past OS 9.1
Actually, there is. Mac OS 9.2 comes with a newer (and much improved) version of OpenGL (version 1.2.2), therefore, if you're into 3D gaming under Mac OS 9, it's well worth it to upgrade to 9.2.x (assuming you have a 3D graphics card). Multiple ATI and NVIDIA drivers also require Mac OS 9.2.1 or better to use under Classic.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Benefits of OS 9.2.2:

1. Compatibility with ATI's latest drivers. ATI dropped
support for OpenGL versions lower than 1.2.2.
(9.1 has 1.2.1)

2. You can't run DVD Studio Pro 1.5 or 1.2.1 without 9.2.2.

3. You can't run Final Cut Pro 3 without 9.2.2.

4. Full compatibility with iPod.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Basically adds support for a bunch of drivers and applications. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
IMHO, it's always a good idea to install the newest OS your computer supports. 9.2.x however basically exists to be the Classic environment of OS X - if you don't plan to upgrade to OS X, there's generally no reason to go past OS 9.1.

OS X has been around for years now - isn't it time YOU upgraded?

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts