Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my wife her PB.I know it's only a 5300 but it's really all she needs for now.Now that i have made a deal with Jordan for a modem i need advice on either to go with OS 8.1 or 8.6.It is the PB5300cs with only 24megs Ram.All she will be doing is checking her mail and some light surfing.I have 8.6 on their now seems okay but was not sure if 8.1 would speed it up some since it only has 24megs.I don't have OS 8.1 so what do you know from experience?

Thanks James

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re-install 8.6 and do a "custom install" to only install what she needs for light surfing and email
go thru each section and check ON only what is needed

see if that lowers the RAM requirements enough so that you don't have to turn ON virtual memory (VM). VM is a real performance killer. if running 8.1 forces you to use VM, it will be comparing apples to apples and as such performace gain will be nominal.

do you have system CD for 8.1 and 8.6???

i would lean towards 8.6 so as not to be too far behind. 8.1 was a pretty long time ago.

also, if memory serves, the networking component of 8.6 is better than 8.1.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did do a custom install to slim it down, i was just wondering if 8.1 would still allow me the needed requirement for her needs and maybe give a system speed boost over 8.6.yes i do have OS 8.6 but like i had said i don't have 8.1 to try it out.So i don't feel like wasting my money on 8.1 if it's not going to be any advantage.

Thanks James

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
don't forget to remove fonts, chooser extensions, unnecessary extensions, unnecessary control panels

unnecessary = not needed or rarely needed

it's worth going through your system folder manually, especially with RAM being so tight.

did you find out if VM is ON or OFF?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I still have a 5300 and a 1400. Anything higher than 8.1 is painfull on these machines.
OS 7.5.5 might be worth a try too.

RamDoubler and SpeedDoubler from Connectix are usefull in the older OS's if you have low ram.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
now 7.5.5 would save you a bundle of ram, but didn't 7.5.5 NOT recognize HDs larger than 2 GB?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey James,

I am running 8.1 on my 5300, and it runs great. I have never had a low mem problem or anything like that.

I highly recommend 8.1

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts