Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know this topic is a bit old by now, but I thought I'd just share my excitment and experience with just having installed panther last night on my 900 iBook with 384 mb ram. My up-to-date version took i think just about under 10 business days to arrive, so it was a bit of an axious wait for me. To pass the time I read all the exciting bench mark tests and all the positive user reviews so far posted on here. Well after the approx 2 hour install it only took me a few mins to realise that I don't think I'd ever want to use another computer with out expose', aside of being great eye candy it is truly a use ful feature and makes even average computer use easier and more seamless. As for speed... I have noticed things a slight bit faster however it seems as though for some programs or folders its only snappy after the first time I opened it. For example when I open my hard drive on the desktop it lags pretty significantly the scale effect freezes for a scond then reaches its full size, this never happened before in Jaguar. The same goes for a few other programs where i never got the spinning beach ball, now I get it for things i never got before. I'm hoping maxing out to 640 mb ram will make a difference. But this sort of lag never exsisted in 10.2.8. So I'm a bit dissapointed in that department. Any other iBook (G3) users experincing the same sort of lagging as I am? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Hi AdrianL,

Take it from me, max out your RAM! As a proud owner of a last generation dual-boot iBook, I can truthfully say Jaguar soars like the wind on this puppy. I can only imagine what Panther must be like. If I have time this weekend, I'll update the 'Book to 10.3 and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the review: I have the same machine and the same amount of RAM, so it's really helpful. Sure, I would like Panther, but I'm satisfied with Jaguar. It's pretty fast : Safari (for example) takes a second to open (or 2 "bumps" in the dock). I can't really see what kind of speed improvement I would get from Panther...

As Bjornbro said, RAM is probably a best buy :D

Now, if I had the cash for one iMac... :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,991 Posts
Get Panther not the RAM :D
While 640 was almost mandatory for Jag on this 384 flies with Panther.

We have had several clients forgo Powerbook orders because the 900 iBook with Panther was so terrific.

Panther really steps the G3 up and the 512 cache on the 900 shows well plus the 1024x768 lets the vid card cruise along very very quickly.

Panther is the ticket for those reluctant to move up from 9 as the speed is back as well as Exposé amongst other terrific features. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Macdoc, I can't believe the improvement Panther made with my G3 blueberry ibook. I have not been able to stand using OSX on it until now. It just flies!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Macdoc, he wasn't asking about if he should get Panther or the RAM, he's got Panther already installed.

Well, I couldn't resist... I installed Panther on my iBook too and WOW even I'm impressed. I knew there would be a small perceivable speed improvement, but WOW! Get the RAM AdrianL, you won't regret it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,991 Posts
Bjorn that was aimed at Ingenu - who was considering RAM and waffling on Panther :cool:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
So Macdoc, will Panther make my Pismo purr? Or are the the 8M of VRAM just going to hold me back??

h!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm waffling on Panther?

Guess that means I don't know what I'm talking about.

That's true...

Regards

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah a 512 mb chip is definetly in the pipe line. I'm just so dissapointed about the lag on the scale effect on the hard disk window and the beach ball when I open safari. Has me a bit concerned (Don't want to come across soar). But i'm wondering if its worth it to format everything and do a fresh install..?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts