Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the font book in Panther handles large amounts of fonts. We have a little over a thousand fonts that we have here (not activated all the time). I noticed at home when I was playing with Panther's font book that all the fonts were activated as soon as I put them in. Is there a way of deactivating them? And again how well does Font Book handle holding large amounts of fonts.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I've been using Font Book since the release of Panther as a replacement for Suitcase. Currently, I have over 1,300 fonts loaded and running with no appreciable loss of system performance. The only slowdown has been when adding new fonts, but it's not really a big deal.

MDD 867, 2 GB RAM, 2 x 60 GB HD (hardware RAID 0)

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
What the heck is FONT BOOK? What part of Panther is that? I had Suitcase X1 installed in Jaguar and it's still my font manager in Panther.

Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Panther has its own built in Font manager now. Thanks for the input Mississauga

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Sorry, wonderings... forgot to mention there is an option to "Disable" a font or collection. However, I've been reading reports disabled fonts aren't really disabled until you actually delete them from Font Book. Reports also indicate deleted fonts seem to fill up the trash!?!?

I haven't experienced any of the mentioned "issues" as I leave all my fonts enabled at all times. I believe if you're running enough "horsepower", performance hits possibly caused by heavy usage of Font Book are negligible.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I did a review of Font Book before Panther came out. You can read it here on my website:

http://www.testpagesystems.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=74

The bottom line is that not all programs behave properly with Font book. Classic needs to be restarted, Cocoa apps work as expected, come Carbon apps work OK (mostly Adobe stuff is OK, forget about Quark 6).

For professional work we still recommend Suitcase or FOnt Reserve. People who are going to run the new Adobe CD suite are fine with Panther and Font Book, Quark users should forget about Font Book.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again, that was going to be my next question in how it worked with Adobe software and Quark 6. Guess I will wait a bit before upgrading to Panther at work. I hear as well that Quark 6 has some problems in Panther. Maybe we'll have to wait another couple of years before a Panther version of Quark is available

1 - 7 of 7 Posts