Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to RailHEAD Design:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mac OS X 10.2.4 Seeded
Apple just seeded both the client and server versions of Mac OS X 10.2.4 build 6I14. Developers were asked to focus on the following areas with the client: ATI Video Software/NVidia, Audio Software, CoreGraphics, Printing, Finder/Search Engine/Sherlock and HIToolbox/HLTB Components.

10.2.4 should be available by month’s end, and it’s current download size is 58.4MB.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nifty!

--PB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
I am not going to touch this update for a while. 10.2.3 works great, and well, 10.2.2 did not go so well. I will avoid this unless there is a new feature or something.

10.2.5 is not far away, and here comes 10.3 (I heard it's code named Panther, am I mistaken)

Cheers,

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Staying behind usually in the system OS usually creates more problems than staying updated. The problems you suffered with 10.2 and plus updates is hardware related, not software, and you should have that Mac checked out by Mac professional technicians. I have yet to suffer any problem with 10.2, 10.2.3 yet on this G3.

And yes, 10.3 is codenamed Panther.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

AS for problems created by staying behind, I've never heard of problems occuring by staying with 10.2 or 10.1.5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but staying updated insures you're Mac supports the latest along with the newest software and Apple updates. If you allow your Mac to fall behind in system OS updates, your Mac at the same time eventually loses access and support for new essential hardware/software updates.

How can you explain that 10.2 or 10.2.1 or 10.2.3 give me no problems whatsoever.

Probably because 10.2 and 10.2.1 were liked by your computer, and 10.2.3 crashed it, while 10.2.3 fixed it. 10.2.4 will probably be even better. I also never heard of any Mac having severe problems under 10.2.1 and suddenly can't run stable under 10.2.2. The 2 are practically the same, just 10.2.2 having some more features and updates which were designed to improve performance, not bomb your Mac.

I can't imagine it not being a hardware problem, but I don't know for sure. What you went through with your Mac I've never heard of before in all the crap I've had from Macs. ;)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The problems with 10.2.2 were not HARDWARE related. How can you explain that 10.2 or 10.2.1 or 10.2.3 give me no problems whatsoever.

AS for problems created by staying behind, I've never heard of problems occuring by staying with 10.2 or 10.1.5.

Cheers,

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just hold off the upgrade for a while RtC. If serious bad karma comes with it, you'll know in a week or so.

However, falling behind on an update is rarely recommended. I'd update to 10.2.4 sometime before 10.2.5 and give it some time to make sure it's functioing fine. After all, anyone could get hit with a missed bug in any update. It's just a guarantee you will get hit with a bug when you update a Windows machine. However, in that environment, they usually cal them "features" not "bugs".

:cool:

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Staying behind the curve is simply the safest bet especially when your income depends on your Mac working reliably.
Just because it's successful on one machine means nothing.
Most people had no problem with Firmware 4.1.9 for G4s - but it blew motherboards for others.
The list is endless. iMacs with toasted CD ROMs. RAM gone missing - Apple is not perfect. Waiting a bit is just common sense.
Once all the dust has settled and the early adopters are sucessful or not - then - if it offers improvement -go for it - but backing up the working system if always smart.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a good rule of thumb for those without the resources and multiple machines to try the latest and greatest. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re: just behind the curve.

i totally agree.

always let the other guy be the guinea pig, especially like macdoc says; "if your living depends on a stable machine."

i never let my clients upgrade to the latest and greatest anything.

just lurk in the lists and watch the reactions..

again; "if it ain't broke...."

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sometimes it's not about "if it ain't broke don't fix it".. sometimes its about the integration of new technologies, such as moving from 10.1 to 10.2 server you gain a massive amount of control from LDAP services. However it is also nice to have machines to test on.

These are things that 10.1 didn't offer out of the box. That being said, while this is just a point release update, there are a massive amount of people who are having problems printing to USB based printers with 10.2.3 and it will probably be addressed in this update as well, this will probably be the update that most of us need to use the new iLife functions of the metadata files that will be required to "integrate" all 4 apps into 1 big app.

Just a little FYI to think about. If you are at all interested in using the iLife apps, you probably need to have 10.2.4 on your system. Also, I am not a programmer but thinking about how this meta dat works, this is probably how rendezvous will distribute data across the network for iTunes playlists to be available on everyones system..

But then again I am all about full speed ahead

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
100% for sure... if you want to use iLife, you'll need 10.2.4. Not guessing.

Stay with Kingston Branded ram and it won't go missing with firmware updates..gauranteed.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Panther?? Isn't that an endangered species ?? Maybe there is something in that.. ;)

I can tell you this. If they are going to charge for another update, I'll dump our leases and sell all our Mac equipment. Apple can jam it. They aren't that great.

I like the cases though, to bad they didn't make a nice aluminum one.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can tell you this. If they are going to charge for another update, I'll dump our leases and sell all our Mac equipment. Apple can jam it. They aren't that great.

When was the last time that MS came out with a major feature revision and didn;t charge for it? Sevice packs do not count, they are no where near the upgrade that 10.1 or .2 was, I'd rank them closer to the 10.x.x updates, maybe a little higher depending on the SP and for which OS.

Oh, and the upgrade version of WinXp Home is 150. For 199 you get the full meal deal of Jaguar. You have to pay 299 for the full WinXP Home.

Simple fact is, as much as you might want to debate it, OS 10.1.x is a fully useable system. Development isn't free, and there is/was no reason not to charge for 10.2

Annoying yes, but I don't see what you'd be gaining by going over to Windows based on the fact that you dont want to have to pay for upgrades.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I have no problem paying for updates. They, paid ones, don't come out that often and are generaly worth every penny. I think waiting a week before updating your OS is wise. I'm running 10.2.2 and will update to .3 this weekend. Switching platforms because of cost is like shutting the barn door after the cows are gone. :D
Regardless of the fact that Apple doesn't do everything everyone wants(
), they keep the computer scene interesting and innovative.
Robert ;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
PosterBoy wrote:
When was the last time that MS came out with a major feature revision and didn't charge for it? Sevice packs do not count, they are no where near the upgrade that 10.1 or .2 was, I'd rank them closer to the 10.x.x updates, maybe a little higher depending on the SP and for which OS.

Microsoft used to bundle significant functionality with their service packs (back when NT4 was current), but users (especially people rolling out service packs to tens or hundreds of machines) started screaming bloody murder since more features means more ways something can go wrong, so Microsoft now only puts bug fixes in service packs.

Oh, and the upgrade version of WinXp Home is 150. For 199 you get the full meal deal of Jaguar. You have to pay 299 for the full WinXP Home.

Remember, though, practically every sale of Jaguar is an upgrade from some other version of Mac OS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is one major difference with MS upgrades and the 0s 9.x to os x upgrade. Most all windoz based software will still work in any version. The whole native and classic issue was/is a pain in the ass.

And don't get me started on Apple services.... .mac??

:D

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sever:
There is one major difference with MS upgrades and the 0s 9.x to os x upgrade. Most all windoz based software will still work in any version.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Uhm, no. You are so mistaken, it isn't even funny. My friends' keyboard stopped working when he upgraded to XP - a simple keyboard. For another, he could no longer run Corel Office when he upgraded to XP - he had to upgrade to the newest version or buy MS Office. I hear stuff like that all the time. The only good things I hear about XP are "It runs fine if you have all new stuff, but really crappy if you are upgrading with older stuff."
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
And don't get me started on Apple services.... .mac??

:D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't like it? Submit feedback to Apple and don't buy it. Have you looked at the wonderful "services" MSN gives you these days?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts