Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to notice in gmark2000's signature that he was an original Apple eWorld member. I too was a member.

Was anyone else here a member and if so, what are your memories of that online community?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Me three.
I just remember being bummed out when they shut it down.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Then you likely remember this too:
I do!
The Gil Amelio years, as the head of Apple, were a time that still makes me cringe. Nuking eWorld was just one of many low points he managed.
Heck, I'll be the first to admit that they made some real stinker computers during his tenure too. The PPC 4400 comes to mind. I owned one of those door stops! :(

IMHO, eWorld could have been a bright spot in that otherwise sorry period in Apple's history. Had they kept it, that is.

:yikes:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
eWorld was doomed from the beginning along with every other specialty online community running on proprietary software. There were plenty back in the day, and I don't think any of them have survived. They were replaced by the world wide web which offered more content and a much more flexible interface for site designers to mold.

I'm pretty sure I tried eWorld but never paid for it. I preferred a FirstClass-based board called Magic, which went on to become Magic Online Services, an ISP, before being gobbled up by TotalNet, who then got gobbled up by someone. I had switched to Rogers Cable internet before that happened though.

Proof that the idea of a dedicated gui client-based community just can't be successful, look how few people use Hotline and Carracho.

So don't fret about the demise of eWorld. It would have happened sooner or later anyway.

G

·
I was an eWorld member and I knew at the time it was doomed as well due to the proprietary nature. I also was a member of Magic (and Skyway and TVO and a couple of other firstclass boards). Before that I was a member of quite a lot of BBSes .. and even ran one for a while on a mac port of Pancacke. :D

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
I still can't believe MAGIC was sold, and I've had a couple of 'weeks' go think about it. wth as the vernacular goes.

As for other online worlds, unless there is a lot of killing and such (WoW, Age of Mythology, Eve. etc.) there doesn't seem to be much call. Then again, billions of people play/live Second Life...

eWorld was doomed from the beginning along with every other specialty online community running on proprietary software. There were plenty back in the day, and I don't think any of them have survived. They were replaced by the world wide web which offered more content and a much more flexible interface for site designers to mold.

I'm pretty sure I tried eWorld but never paid for it. I preferred a FirstClass-based board called Magic, which went on to become Magic Online Services, an ISP, before being gobbled up by TotalNet, who then got gobbled up by someone. I had switched to Rogers Cable internet before that happened though.

Proof that the idea of a dedicated gui client-based community just can't be successful, look how few people use Hotline and Carracho.

So don't fret about the demise of eWorld. It would have happened sooner or later anyway.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I was a very early original member of eWorld. Without eWorld, there would be no ehMac.ca, as eWorld was an original inspiration for me for ehMac.ca.

I still have an eWorld book, with floppies to install the software. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I was an eWorld member and I knew at the time it was doomed as well due to the proprietary nature. I also was a member of Magic (and Skyway and TVO and a couple of other firstclass boards). Before that I was a member of quite a lot of BBSes .. and even ran one for a while on a mac port of Pancacke. :D
I can't go by a year without reminiscing about FirstClass BBS's and kickin it old'school. :)

I was a member of Magic, plus several Mac User Group BBS's. T'was a lot of fun. Kind of like ehMac.ca. :)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I still can't believe MAGIC was sold, and I've had a couple of 'weeks' go think about it. wth as the vernacular goes.

As for other online worlds, unless there is a lot of killing and such (WoW, Age of Mythology, Eve. etc.) there doesn't seem to be much call. Then again, billions of people play/live Second Life...
I think the main reason Second Life and other MMOs have been successful when eWorld, AOL, MAGIC et. al. have failed is because they offer a virtual world to explore, and are entertainment products more than simple information/communication services. eWorld compared to the Web, instant messenger and a good email client doesn't really offer much advantage, yet what it offered was readily available elsewhere. Second Life doesn't compete with other common internet apps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts