Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O'Reilly had an online guide to setting up Perl, MySQL and CGI in Mac OSX, it was a fantastic and easy to follow guide. Does anybody know where that is? I cannot seem to find it again.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I checked a few places earlier to set my machine up
Basically you download and install PHP , beware that the PHP 4.3 has some changes that make code based on pre 4.1 variable passing stop working. You can either write code fixes or fudge the PHP app to accept the way. If you are making all new scripts it will be best to use the new methods of passing variables.
Then you download and install Mysql
Then log in to Mysql from the terminal, start it up, and then you can add users, give the user privieges, create datbases under that user, add tables to that database. Then write PHP and web pages to run scripts that call the database up to store, retrieve, or change data.
I have some bookmarks if you want I can dig up some references. Just ask.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why I want the guide, it told me exactly how to set it up and get it working as I have no clue what I am doing (I did it once before though, just had no use for it!).
I am setting up a webserver for our programmer in Edmonton so we can start setting up and beta testing our online record sales.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly could not tell you what he is using, I am just setting it up so we have a place to test it all.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I think Perl is installed from the developer tools
you can download the PHP application
try www.php.net to start
if you want to download mysql
try
www.mysql.org to start

there is a really great mac sql admin tool called MacSql

I have some more mac mysql links, hang on

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys!
I will let you know how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I've never really looked into the whole PHP/MySQL stuff (dabbled a long time ago in CGI... haven't touched it since).

What do you use it for? I've developed a lot of sites, but most of my education covered basic and semi-advanced stuff (that dealt with mostly simple bells and whistles).

What's the learning curve like? Is it something that could be set up failey easily?

I'm interested in how something like this could be incorporated with web sites.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Manny
Mysql is a datbase management system, it is free and can serve much of small business to medium sized enterprizes. PHP is a scripting language for automating websites , interacting with databases, rewriting html in an output that contains the resultant data plus html to display content for users, such as a newssite that serves it's news from a database and displays it by having webpages call PHP scripts and outputting it to html. You can check out more info at the links above.
It is easier to start up on a Mac due to the unix backend with Apache already set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts