Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one question that has been literally haunting me. Even though Apple will ship for free to Canada, what are the Customs and Duty charges if I bought over $3000.00 worth of hardware from them? Any ideas?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would think $0.00 if you bought from the Apple Canada Store
. There shouldn't be any custom or duty charges. Kind of like when you buy from MacWarehouse Canada.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Correct. They apply GST and PST where applicable. This total is shown at the end. You also have 60 mins or so as a cooling off period in case you want to cancel with no penalty. Completely painless (except for your wallet).... The iTunes Music Store will be like Crack Cocaine given my AppleStore addition.....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Apple Canada does the importing and you just have to pay as if you bought from your favourite computer store.

And service isn't a problem! I had a CPU board die in my DP and it was handled without problem at a local ASP. Thanks Jennifer.

John

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there would be no duty charges if I went over to www.apple.ca/store and bought a whole bunch of stuff? If that's what's being said, I'm in luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
why would any duty charges apply? if you live in Canada and order from a Canadian-based store, there's no reason why any customs or duty charges should apply.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why would any duty charges apply? if you live in Canada and order from a Canadian-based store, there's no reason why any customs or duty charges should apply.
Until now, I didn't realize that Apple.ca Store was located within Canada. I just figured the Apple.ca web site was no different the the U.S one, except that all the price tags were higher (and that products still shipped from with the U.S).

whattaya gonna get?
Just before school next year, a Powerbook 867 MHz G4 12.1", 10 GB iPod and Cannon printer. Sometime in August.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
should have an iBook later today. If CanadaPost doesnt screw up. Of course its just a 500mhz G3 but its still an apple. Im so tired of windows
Don't feel bad - any Mac is better than a Windows machine.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Until now, I didn't realize that Apple.ca Store was located within Canada. I just figured the Apple.ca web site was no different the the U.S one, except that all the price tags were higher (and that products still shipped from with the U.S).
Well, when you call The Apple Store Canada, you get to talk to someone in Texas...unless they moved the order center elsewhere, but that's where it was.

Your Powerbook will ship from a warehouse in California and based on your chosen delivery method, it may arrive via fedex or some other courier co.

When the goods arrive in Canada, Customs & Revenue has to clear the entry, but you do not get billed...Apple Canada gets billed any duties, taxes or brokerage fees as they apply to your shipment.

I don't believe there are any duties on computers, the GST/PST was paid by you at time of purchase, so Apple basically pays the brokerage fees to clear the goods through customs.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
On the weekend I walked a friend through the buying process at MacWarehouse.ca (they had the 900mhz iBooks on for $30/off the Apple retail price).

Chalk up another Switcher! (she was a Windoze disciple, who has now seen the light).

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
So as I read this thread I have come to believe that if I order from Apple.ca then Canadian's get the product but make none of the profits.

Call Apple.ca and talk to a Texan.... he gets paid,

Ship from California warehouse .... they get paid,

Shipper across the U.S. ... they get paid,

The only Canadian that made any money was the FedEx dude. :mad:

All those Canadian dollars waisted paying the U.S.

---
Authorized Apple Resellers over the past few weeks have been opening up Online Stores, Apple could be loosening there grip on selling online for Authorized Resellers. But I don't know the details.

The moral of this story, try to buy Canadian and even try to buy from your local Reseller that may soon be able to service the far reaches of Canada via the net. You are not doing Canada any favours purchasing direct.

Buying form an independant Authorized Reseller:

They employ Canadians,
They purchase from Apple Canada anyway
or they purchase form a Canadian distributor that employes Canadian,
The product is shipped from the U.S. but is then shipped to the reseller, shipping company employ's Canadian

All these Canadian companies in turn pay Canadian expenses like hydro, gas, telephone, TAXES etc.
They employ people to build building to warehouse and retail the Apple products, yadda yadda yadda.... you get my drift [rant].

Think before you buy.

The best price is sometimes the costly of all.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a question about the 12.1" Powerbook that someone who's used one might answer. How are its heat issues and heat production? This is always a concern for me when using/working with Powerbooks. And, does it have a fan?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Found the heat uncomfortable once or twice - it's best to have a flat surface underneath (i.e. not your lap). It tends to stay lukewarm surfing, using iPhoto, etcetera. You can make it hot by playing Warcraft III for a couple hours, or installing large Fink packages from source while doing photo editing or iMovie - basically using the hard drive and processor heavily. This makes it a little uncomfortable to rest your hands on - and MAY make your left hand sweaty. If you're absorbed in what you're doing you might not notice this until you're done. The fan will come on and prevent it from getting hotter than this. The fan is about average loudness - not bad, not whiny - if it's on while watching a DVD it doesn't interfere with enjoying the sound from the speakers. Most of the time the fan is off and the unit is silent. I have 640MB RAM, which probably reduceds the hard drive usage and by extension the heat. I really don't have a lot to compare it to - other than I use a DELL laptop at work which doesn't get very hot, but then that is a 3-year old 400 MHz machine mainly used for text editing and networking and has an annoying sounding fan running constantly.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, elemer.

Does the 12.1" Powerbook have a backside cache? Can't see anything on the Apple web site.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
No, the 12" model doesn't have any backside (L3) cache. You can see that on this page under cache. Only the 15" and 17" specify a L3 cache.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Yes it does have a backside cache. It does not have L3 cache.

The 17" powerbook gives this away: "The 17-inch PowerBook G4 features 256K backside level 2 cache and 1MB of L3 cache. " (Apple's website)

"backside cache" means the CPU and cache communicate over a separate bus which is faster than the system bus.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=backside+cache&r=67

On this page:
http://www.macsonly.com/PB12new.html
they state that the 12" L2 cache speed is 534 MHz which is much faster than the system bus.

However, it does not have L3 cache (a larger cache accessed at a slower speed) -- the other powerbooks have L3 cache in addition to L2 cache. That makes the 12" slower than the other powerbooks for certain tasks.

[ June 16, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I'm not really sure the L2 cache is a "backside cache" anymore since it is now on the CPU itself and not on the processor card or daughter card. Ie. it's part of the CPU now. It used to be at one time on the processor card in the old G3 and older G4s. I think of the L3 now as a backside cache since it is on the processor card and the CPU communicates to it via a separate bus.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts