Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets assume the new PowerMac rumors are true, and we Canadians want to get one as soon as possible. Is it better to order from apple.com, or from apple.ca? Is it better to phone one of those two, or use the Apple Store on one of those two?

Reading another post here, it suggested that it is essentially the same, that calling in an order to Apple Canada has you talking to a Apple salesman in Texas.

Anyone have an opinion as to the best way, with fewest delays, and no cost discrepancy?

Thanks in advance,
-GW

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you live in Canada & you want to buy directly from Apple you are required to order from the Canadian Applestore. I don't think that you are allowed to order from the American Applestore. The guy in Texas (or California) works in a call centre taking the calls, thats all. When you place your order it will be shipped from whatever warehouse they use (mine came from California) and was shipped Fedex. Apple sends you a shipping number and you can track its progress (mine was Calif>Memphis>Toronto>Montreal>Moncton>Halifax and then to my front door!) In our enlightened era of free trade (Adam Smith would be proud!) there are no duties---I assume Apple.Ca paid brokerage, etc. What you pay is the amount on the invoice---price+GST+PST(or HST for us in the Maritimes). Have a good time with your new Mac!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The Brokerage is usually included in the deals that Apple gets with various carriers. DHL was used to shipped several of my product to me if you choose the regular shipping.

FedEx would be the best choice thou in my mind,

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I was just reading over the leaked specs of the new PowerMacs. Take your pick of Mac Rumor sites to see those details... (spymac.com, or, macrumors.com, etc.)
I don't know for sure if I'll order one or not, but it's exciting to finally see a big step forward in processing power. Apple may not close the mhz gap, but they'll surely narrow it somewhat. Can't wait to see the benchmark comparisons.

I just know my VISA balance will be on my mind after Monday's announcement. heh heh

-GW

·
Registered
449 Posts
New processors, lions, tigers, and bears, Oh My!
Just remember to keep in mind the usual delays that occur from "First Announcement" to "Actual Delivery".

Not that I'm complaining, BUT hasn't this become a "built-in" factor with recent Apple Products?

Again, despite the above, I am NOT an Apple Elitist rather an Apple Pragmatist.

·
Registered
188 Posts
FYI Apple store US has low end power mac for $1500., Apple store Ca has same machine for $2400. My on-line currency converter from a US bank says $1500. US converts to $2040. Canadian. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping someone would bring up that price conversion oddity. It's one of the reasons why I'd be careful about buying a machine in Canada. Support local retailers, yes. Pay way too much, no.

-GW

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
FYI Apple store US has low end power mac for $1500., Apple store Ca has same machine for $2400. My on-line currency converter from a US bank says $1500. US converts to $2040. Canadian. Any thoughts?
It's because Apple only adjusts their prices when they bring out a new product or they have a drop in prices. Look at the iBook or Powerbook prices, they've been adjusted recently, because new iBooks were just announced awhile back and Powerbooks have had a price drop. Also, no business will ever adjust their prices weekly due to currency changes. There's too much of a chance to lose money, especially with the Canadian dollar dropping and rising by almost a cent a day.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Apple Co. is an American company. If there was no Apple Canada Store you would have to pay not only the exchange at $2040.00 but add GST, PST, Shipping and most importantly Duty and custom charges. That alone will bump the price past $2400.00 Canadian dollars. Just like European Mac Store they charge the tax and VAT etc to their prices if applicable. Yes I agree we pay way too much for Apple products, considering we also pay way more in taxes for an Apple product over our US friends. The prices would be more comparable to the US if we would only have to pay the GST on the product and the exchange rate. With the new Powermacs rolling around the corner the price scares me a little on what we Canadians could be forking out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ordering from The Apple Store Canada or your local dealer will result in about the same delivery time and price. The only difference is that, unlike the Apple Store, your local dealer hires local staff, supports local businesses, pays local taxes ... I could go on but I think you get my message.

Cheers and enjoy your new Mac.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Message received loud and clear, and as a result I think (if I decide to take the plunge for a new PPC 970) I'll go to a local authorized Apple reseller, and place my preorder there. After all, an announcement on Monday could mean delivery in August or later.

In the past I've ordered a lot of stuff (drives, monitors, processor upgrades, printers, etc.) via U.S. mailorder, and drove down to Blaine, Washington to pick it up from a package outlet. Living in Vancouver has it's cross-border advantages to be sure. But since 9-11 I've not gone back, and may not bother to go back for a while. Driving down to bring a package back is worth it if a few hundred dollars of savings are involved. But otherwise, buying locally has advantages too. It's a tough call, but supporting a Canadian business is more important than it may seem at first glance. We do have some good, helpful Mac dealers here, and I'd like them to be around for a while.

-GW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts