Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that our small business has gone totally Mac, we need a new accounting program.

Any positive/negative opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers, John

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
We use SQL-Ledger (www.sql-ledger.com). Its a web-based accounting system that is GPL and runs on any UNIX system. It requires Apache, PostgreSQL and Perl.

If you want to run it on Mac OS X you should download PostgresSQL from entropy.ch and install PERL DBD and the Postgres Perl drivers with via CPAN. Take some time to read the features, its really quite nice but it does not have a payroll module however.

Other than that it runs really well, just be careful with Safari since it has a tendency to really caches stuff and creating invoices with duplicate numbers can REALLY mess things up!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info MacG and PG,
I was looking into the new QuickBooks.
Seems it's under-featured and over-priced compared to the PC version.
Really annoying to see that kind of a price difference

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have been using Quickbooks Accounts for Mac for almost a year now. I don't mind it. I came from years of Quickbooks on the PC side. Quickbooks Accounts for Mac though is nothing like Quickbooks for the PC or even Quickbooks 5.0 for Mac. It is actually a rebadged slightly Canadianized version of MYOB. It too is pricey, approx. $400. I was lucky enough to by a discounted NFR version last February direct from Intuit for $90. Support is non existent and there is no payroll either. Had I paid $400 I probably wouldn't be happy but for $100 I'll take it.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Essentially your choices for Mac accounting software consists of either QuickBooks Pro or MYOB and the latter has discontinued its support for Canadian tax tables etc.

If you just need to track expenses and your bank balance, there's always Quicken...plus another nifty little app that I've tried just out of curiosity, called Money. It gets full marks for simplicity of design... here's the link

1 - 6 of 6 Posts