Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I have one. It works fine, although the close flush spacing of the keys takes some getting used to. Very good fit and finish. A minus - the USB connectors are in the upper corners - the right-hand one gets in the way of the mouse.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dolawren-I don't think we're talking about the same keyboard. Although I agree that Apple makes excellent keyboards. I'm using the Pro keyboard right now and I think it's great. It's just that the icekey has been on my wish list for a while now

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I don't think we're talking about the same keyboard. Although I agree that Apple makes excellent keyboards. I'm using the Pro keyboard right now and I think it's great. It's just that the icekey has been on my wish list for a while now
Sorry,
Just thought that it was a nice alternative in case you got
deterred and decided to buy an alternative.

Here's some reviews on the iceKey:

InsideMacGames reviews

Charles Moore reviews

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I've used one for a few months now. I hated it for the first few days but forced myself to keep using it. Now I love it. I have a hard time going back to the Pro keyboard. I use it with my powerbook so switching form internal keyboard to the icekey is very smooth since the keys feel similar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my friend's got it and it's a VERY nice board. even my typing was noticeably faster on it, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Love it! I find Macally to be one of the best third party hardware manufacturers out there (think LaCie). My only beef is the "blank" key adjacent to the right-hand Control key. They should have eliminated it all-together and widened the space bar instead. It only bothers me when I play games however. I have what would normally be the Control key in that space, usually mapped out as my left-pinky "Jump" key.

Oh! And you'll have to buy the iceMouse to match.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Bjornbro,

I've been toying with the idea of getting the iceKey for a while and this thread almost had me convinced until your last line:
Oh! And you'll have to buy the iceMouse to match
I have the iceMouse. It is OK, but frankly I was disappointed, coming from an Apple Pro mouse, to feel how cheap the plastic was. It feels overly light and flimsy in my hand. The buttons feel mushy, without a good confident click. A fellow Mac friend saw it on my desk one day and said "cool!", then she picked it up and played with it for a moment and said "ewww, cheap!" So it isn't just me!

In your opinion, is the quality of plastic similar between the keyboard and mouse? I hope not!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
sinjin, hmmm...
It feels overly light and flimsy in my hand.
...but I like the almost weightless and effortless handling of the mouse.
The buttons feel mushy, without a good confident click.
...and I like the fact I can quietly click away (in a frenzy to blast away RicktheChemist et al, in a heated game of Unreal Tournament) without disturbing anyone else in the room.

Your points are well taken and if you feel what you described are draw backs, I see them as advantages.

To answer your question, the keyboard does seem beefier in it's construction and not of the same material as the iceMouse. I swear, you could probably stand on it.
I merely wanted to mention the iceMouse and the iceKey are be cosmetically matching.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
I'm surprised you all overlook the Microsoft Products.
They are far superior ( tho the Ice Keyboard is not bad at all ) and have terrific software. ( you can tell the Mac team at work )
With the customer base that MS has they DO understand what a productive ergonomically correct ( instead of "pretty" ) keyboard is about.

Kensingtons stuff is very good and very well made as well. I find the software not as good as the MS.

We brought in a few Ice KBs and clients seem happy. :cool:

We've got a ton of Apple Pro mice white and black if anyone would like one or two or :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
Bjornbro,

Ya, I could see that as a personal preference thing. Glad to hear the iceKey is more robust; it's back on my list!

Cheers!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I finally got it! I'm typing on it right now. My impression is that it is indeed a keyboard that takes some time to get used to. However, I can see myself really liking this keyboard, once I am accustomed to it.

The feel is nice and crisp and the short travel of the keys is nice as well.

The white totally clashes with my beige tower and blue mouse though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried plugging in a USB device through the keyboard's built-in ports. It took a lot of effort to do so, and even more to unplug. This is a minor quibble though since I never use them anyways.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I picked up an iceKey the other day and so far am really impressed with it. I was kinda freaked out at first because I couldn't open the CD drive with the eject key but once I installed the driver everything was fine.

Definitely takes some getting used to as far as typing goes but I really like the feel of it. It's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I've got the Macally icekey and icemouse on my desk here. I REALLY like the keyboard, specifically the action of the keys. They've got that scissor action feel to it, similar to a laptop. When I go to a regular keyboard now, the buttons feel so chunky and have such a long way to be pressed before they register. This may sound stupid, but I like the sound the keys make too. Nice little precise clickity clicks.
:D

I like the Macally mouse as well. I use it at work and a Microsoft Intellimouse at home. Both work well for me. The macally is nice and light and I find it glides much better than my intellismouse. The way it lights up red and white look very cool too. Matches the ehMac decor quite nicely!

I don't think the icemouse is cheap, just light. Unlike the Apple mice and the Microsoft mice, it actually has a real sold connection to the mouse itself in the form of a ridged grommet.

The Apple mice and Microsoft are notorius for getting a loose connection where the cable connects to the mouse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts