Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for recommendations for computer speakers that sound better and cheaper than HK soundsticks. that will rock the pants off.
a regular headphone jack connection, 2 satellite speakers and a sub woofer.
approx spending is $100.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Check out Logitech's offerings. You can get 3-piece and 5-piece set-ups at any GTA Futureshop. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the sound is... my PC brother recommended them to me and they were dirt cheap... great bass response, decent styling. Buy a copy of Volume Logic for better sound in iTunes and you're set. I have the basic subwoofer & two satellites config... I always used to defer to Altech-Lansing for decent sound for a value budget, until I looked at Logitech. Here's a link for my model, the Z-340.

Anyway, 100 bucks buys you far better sound than it used to. Best of luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Personally, if you can afford them, I really like the Harman-Kardon Soundstix with subwoofer.

My son has the JBL (Harmon-Kardon) Creature Speakers with subwoofer for his iBook. They also sound excellent and are a bit cheaper.

I cannot comment on the Logitech speakers - never heard 'em.

B

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I used to use the Logitech setup as well... I now have that one hooked into my TV (what a difference).

I'm know using the Harmon/Kardon (champaign and subwoofer) speakers I got from Futureshop. About $69.99 when I got them... very nice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Can't talk about any other set, but I've had a good experience withe the Creative Labs iTrigue line. It's a little more expensive (around 140), but they're white and they match with the iBook finish... :D

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I have a set of Creature speakers - they're terrific however they cost almost twice your $100.00 budget after tax.

The Harman/Kardon Champagne set is very nice, and can be be bought at FutureShop for $89.99.

Both of these systems sound very, very good, and are great for a desktop computer setup. However for $100.00 I think you'll have a hard time finding something that will truly "rock the pants off". :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
the ongoing debate. I have my lap running via my Pana digi receiver and a JBL sub with separates. Yeah, might be a little much, but I have my fun with it. ;)

Might get something a little smaller - esp when I get my hands on GB!

H!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Maybe check out Altec while you are at it

I have them and the sound is incredible with two speakers and sub woofer.

Cost is around $139.00.

Cheers

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I use a 5.1 setup from Altec Lansing - wow, these speakers have yet to not-impress me. The Logitech speakers are also rock-solid - awesome sound from them as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i have a set of the white JBL creatures too. goddamn, they are amazing.

oh, and stay away from the champagne speakers. they sound like poo. working at futureshop, these are the most overpriced set of speakers for mediocre sound.

just my 2 cents.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I don't think the Champagne set sounds that bad however they're quite not as good as the Creatures, being a somewhat older design...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good stuff guys. i got the soundsticks and i love 'em.
i am looking for something for my powerbook to plug into the headphones slot, i was leaning towards the champagne JBLs, is there one that has a wood finish?
i will give the creatures a go, they look cool.

[ February 09, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: rollee ]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had the Altec Lansing ATP3 3-Piece Speaker System for several years now, which has held up pretty well. It has pretty good bass and doesn't look all that bad. I got it at Costco for $90, the price at Futureshop seems to fluctuate and deflate every now and then (i've seen it as low as $79.99 to $129, which is the price now).

Though I've been eyeing the JBL Creature II, which is $130 on the Apple site. Either that or the Altec Lansing VS4121 2.1. The HK Soundsticks look nice but a bit out of my price range.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i've had the klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers for 2 years now. they wake up the neighbours' neighbours. they were pricy, but I know I will have them forever. Anyone who gets serious about garageband would love them if yr not willing to go the ns-10 route. out of context, but my 2 cents.

http://www.klipsch.com/

·
Registered
535 Posts
The set I have wanted for a long time now is Atec Lansing's 621 system. Designed specifically for clean and powerful music, not so much for gaming but should do nicely. Huge sub and sats are a little larger than most but amazing sound. Currently have a set of creatures and am awestruck by the quality from such small speakers. Pricewise the 621 are 200 and have not budged once at Future Shop, however can be had for approx 160 from independent computer stores in the GTA

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the 621s seems awesome i'll check them out, but i am liking the 'creatures' more cause of size and looks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts