Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since installing Sierra on my MBP, opening a gif using Preview, especially a large one with three or four hundred frames now takes about 30 seconds to open. They used to open in seconds with El Capitan. This on a mid 2015 MBP 2.8 Ghz i7 with 16 GB RAM.

Sierra was a nuke and pave install (and done for a second time to see if it changed the behaviour) and I have reset the PRAM and SMC to see if it would help. Also have run OnyX to no avail and a restart or shut down and restart does not do anything either.

Anyone else experiencing this extreme lag or have a solution to cure it?

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
FWIW Preview on my MBP El Cap does not run even simple animated GIFs. Simply displays the individual frames.

EDIT does not loop so if the GIF is really short you do not realize it has run.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither does Sierra run the gifs, my point being takes a very long time to open the individual frames when in El Capitan it opened instantly.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Strange. I've used Preview for years to do quick sorts on large groups of images. As you say it has always displayed almost instantly, whether handling a hundred + JPGs or dozens of full-sized multi-layered PSDs.

No logical reason for such a radical change in behavior. Does this behavior persist if you create a new user account and work from there?

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
Neither does Sierra run the gifs
It should and does on mine.

But I will admit that I've spent almost a week so far getting Sierra installed and most stuff finally working close to the way I want and most disappointed and probably the worst Mac OS install I've ever done in 25+ years or Mac use, and where have a lot of stuff gone that used to work.

I'm trying it again but may just boot back into Mavericks where things just worked for me and my use.

As for the large gif in Sierra, have you tried opening/playing the gif in quick look (choose the file and press the space bar) or use QuickTime 7 if you kept a copy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It should and does on mine.

But I will admit that I've spent almost a week so far getting Sierra installed and most stuff finally working close to the way I want and most disappointed and probably the worst Mac OS install I've ever done in 25+ years or Mac use, and where have a lot of stuff gone that used to work.

I'm trying it again but may just boot back into Mavericks where things just worked for me and my use.

As for the large gif in Sierra, have you tried opening/playing the gif in quick look (choose the file and press the space bar) or use QuickTime 7 if you kept a copy.
Thanks for that the quick view works instantly! :)

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
Thanks for that the quick view works instantly! :)

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad to hear the quick look method worked well and fast for your use.

Actually I've found it invaluable and fast to use for a lot of different file types.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts