Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supreme Court upholds law in cross-border beer case

As I age nothing seems logical any more.
So let me get this straight, we allow random people to just walk across our country’s border yet buying a legal product and crossing a provincial border in our own country is a problem. If it wasn’t so pathetic it would be humorous

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yep, agree, the SC are dummies in making this decision.
believe it or not - i think the decision is nefarious as it will be used by the idiot NDPs out west and the pipeline ..

i am embarrassed to be Canadian.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Its based on the right of each province to levy taxes on alcohol and to restrict people from buy booze in a low tax province and bringing it into a higher tax one.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
There is no enforcement, no border patrol, why even bother? I am betting the majority did not even know this existed before now. I know I certainly did not, not that I travel with booze. I would have thought I can take whatever I want wherever I want in Canada so long as it was a legal item.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
The real issue here has to do with non tariff trade barriers. The constitution does not allow for tariffs, but a non tariff barrier is okay. Let’s take drinking age as an example. As I recall Quebec and Ontario had different drinking ages....but if I was 19 drinking in Quebec that’s fine...what is open to challenge I think is that if I was not permitted to drink in Quebec as a 19yr old from Ontario. This leaves an issue where one province can place barriers on another. So, currently, BC and Alberta can go nuts on a trade war which will hurt both of them. What BC should do is wait for Alberta to restrict products to BC then sue under NAFTA for National Treatment, or, section 121 of the Constitution Act because if Alberta singles out only one province but not the others it would be like my drinking age example....that would be an interesting case.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Sorry but BC is not being targeted alone. What Alberta intends is to limit the flow of bitumen to tidewater. That limits the larger Washington, Oregon, California market worse than BC.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Sorry but BC is not being targeted alone. What Alberta intends is to limit the flow of bitumen to tidewater. That limits the larger Washington, Oregon, California market worse than BC.
No doubt! However I’ve been seeing where there appears to be more people in BC against the pipeline than for it. So, not in my backyard strikes again. I’m torn on this as there are other options . That said, our climate change emissions carbon taxing PM must be grating his teeth with this.. I’m thinking those in the West that voted for himare resenting that now.

That said, does this action by Alberta change your mind on Notley?

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
I don't think you can say that there's a majority for or against. Polls are very mixed.

No doubt! However I’ve been seeing where there appears to be more people in BC against the pipeline than for it. So, not in my backyard strikes again. I’m torn on this as there are other options . That said, our climate change emissions carbon taxing PM must be grating his teeth with this.. I’m thinking those in the West that voted for himare resenting that now.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
I don't think you can say that there's a majority for or against. Polls are very mixed.
True that! I just this moment found a survey that had 54% in favour. I think it results depend on who is sponsoring the poll.

Will this be a “one and done” for the NDP in BC.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There is no enforcement
But there is. My wife and I purchased an assortment of alcohol to take from Edmonton to my in law's home in Saskatchewan when there was a liquor store workers strike. The RCMP stopped us east of Lloydminster, confiscated the booze and gave me a summons to appear in court. I was fined and released.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts

Every poll in the past week is over 50% in favour of the pipeline. And no, Notley is a cancer that has to be removed and UPC has 55% plus in every poll taken. NDP are doomed here.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
So let me get this straight, we allow random people to just walk across our country’s border yet buying a legal product and crossing a provincial border in our own country is a problem.
The inter-provincial barriers are an odd and undesirable quirk of Canada, but not new. I haven't read the decision, but it sounds consistent with law.

The federal government can allow people to cross international borders, and the provincial governments can restrict sales of some things from other provinces. What these governments should do is another matter.

If refugees arrived with cases of foreign beer, all hell would break loose.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
So since almost all the refugees come across the US border, would that not be American beer? If so they should be declared mentally incompetent and returned to the US forthwith. Let the butt trumpet transport them home from there.:D

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
There is no enforcement, no border patrol, why even bother? I am betting the majority did not even know this existed before now. I know I certainly did not, not that I travel with booze. I would have thought I can take whatever I want wherever I want in Canada so long as it was a legal item.
Those of us who lived through the nearly-annual beer strikes in Alberta back in the early 80's are familiar with it.

I've posted on this before. There were a number of us back in the day who would jump into our pickup trucks armed with a handful of cash & head out to Maple Creek, SK or Sparwood, BC (both just inside their respective borders), load up all the Canadian suds we could buy, cover them with a tarp & head back home.

Everybody who had contributed to the pot got their share of beer. Trips were made roughly monthly. Some guys got busted. It was a chance you took if you didn't want to drink either nothing or the American swill they started importing.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Those of us who lived through the nearly-annual beer strikes in Alberta back in the early 80's are familiar with it.
Youngsters don't know what us old dudes had to endure.

My brother in law used to come to AB, buy vodka, decant it into Canadian Tire windshield washer jugs with some blue food dye and take it back to Saskatchewan where it cost more.

He is smarter than me. He never got caught.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts

My brother in law used to come to AB, buy vodka, decant it into Canadian Tire windshield washer jugs with some blue food dye and take it back to Saskatchewan where it cost more.

That was a great idea! :clap:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The inter-provincial barriers are an odd and undesirable quirk of Canada, but not new. I haven't read the decision, but it sounds consistent with law.

The federal government can allow people to cross international borders, and the provincial governments can restrict sales of some things from other provinces. What these governments should do is another matter.

the government is fishing with dynamite - that is the way it treats us citizens..

one hopes that refugees can claim their allowance when they cross and break international laws.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts

Who you callin' old? :lmao:

There was even a local entrepreneur who made up a batch of silk-screened t-shirts that read, "I survived Alberta's Annual Beer Strike".

The interesting thing is, although the first beers they imported from the states was crap like Miller & Rainier, it did open the border to American beers which, decades later and with the advent of craft beers, is a positive thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts