ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks

i have mac mini and a pc with XP connected to an ethernet hub which is connected to the modem. for many years now they've both connected to the net (rogers hi-speed) with no trickery and worked just fine.

all of a sudden over the last couple weeks only one computer can get a connection at a time. if i want to use the mac i have to 'renew dhcp license' and then if i need to get online with the pc their is a similar thingamajig that i have to do there.

also, restarting either machine gets them online but disables access on the other.

any idea why this would be happening? know a fix?

please and thank you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your problem is very simple actually.

If you only pay for one IP , you only get one IP from Roger.

All those years you've had both computers hooked was for free for the second computer. (lucky you)

A hub only shares a physical connection among computers.
if you want to have several computers connected, you need a router that will share the connection.

Or tell Roger to provided you with 2 IPs
it's that simple.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Get a router....its your best bet...I have Rogers with 3 computers hooked up to my one account with a 4 port router.

Very easy to hook up.

If you call Rogers to get another IP they'll charge you for it - you'll be paying for a double bill.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willy Z said:

All those years you've had both computers hooked was for free for the second computer. (lucky you)

A hub only shares a physical connection among computers.
if you want to have several computers connected, you need a router that will share the connection.

Or tell Roger to provided you with 2 IPs
it's that simple.
but willy, why would it just stop working out of the blue like that? after many years of happy service.

as bmovie pointed out, ill get charged quite a bit if i ask for another ip, so id rather just get a router, but im more perplexed as to why now, why me. oh the agony of it all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Willy Z said:

With Cogeco, I'm allowed to hook up to 3 computers. I've been using a hub for years. I now want to hook up a 4th computer so I got a w/less router.

Check with your ISP and see how many computers you're allowed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
xorpion said:
but willy, why would it just stop working out of the blue like that? after many years of happy service.

as bmovie pointed out, ill get charged quite a bit if i ask for another ip, so id rather just get a router, but im more perplexed as to why now, why me. oh the agony of it all.
the question might go the other way, why were you able to get at least two IP if you're only paying for one ?

the explanation I see are : you made some changes to your cable account, and they check it and saw you had two IP
You used to much bandwith .

or they decided to update their database and monitor what's happening on their network.
did you recently changed your modem ? (this may have to do with their database and the way they distribute their IP.

the thing is you can't really call them to complain as you're not supposed to ...

router....way to go :D add lots of security.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willy Z said:
the explanation I see are : you made some changes to your cable account, and they check it and saw you had two IP
You used to much bandwith .
no recent changes, bandwidth not an issue.

i guess they did some kind of clean up and got to me. oh well. ill see what i can do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If in fact, they did "get to" you, a phone call to them would clarify the issue. They won't back charge you and you may find that your subscription comes with 2 IP addresses. My Shaw Cable (BC) account comes with 2. Otherwise, I agree with all the suggestions for adding the router. Safety plus you can try sharing the single cable connection with OS X Internet sharing. Works for me: 3 computers, 2 IP addresses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts