Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in total shock. My father, who has been riding my rump for switching to Mac three years ago, called me tonight wanting to know if I could get him some G4 prices. He's thinking about switching. :eek:

I can not believe it.

Can someone please tell me what the biggest, badest, fastest G4 Power Mac he can get is...for no more than $2000!?! He has a monitor, he just wants the tower.

Can anyone help? He is in Montreal and wants as much speed as he can get for 2K. All he will really use it for is surfing.

Oh...and it has to be new. No previous owner (that is just the way Dad is). Love it or leave it. :rolleyes: ;)

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ps. He is either going to switch...or buy another Dell. So, your assistance is needed.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If that $2000 budget includes tax, he can't get a new G4 tower from Apple - the 1.25 GHz single-processor G4 is $1,799.00 before tax, with tax, it's breaches $2000.00.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Or he could ditch and sell his monitor and get a 1 GHz eMac w/SuperDrive for $1,499.00 instead or the Combo drive model for $1,099.00.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The 1.25 Power Mac G4 is the way to go. Its just $68 over budget with tax included. Buy him a 512 MB Ram chip for his holiday present and quickly mail away for the Panther upgrade for $29 if its not included. (Which I don't think it is on the G4's. )

If he can go over budget a little, tell him to get this book and also a multi-button mouse.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
My dad almost switched about a year and a half ago. The only thing that stopped him was not having a Mac dealer anywhere near his location just outside of Sauble Beach.

I was shocked when he said he was considering it and dismayed when he didn't go for it.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure there is something for him out there.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Being a PC dude, he might balk at the AIO design of an i/eMac :(

Or then again, maybe not
What says ye, VertiGoGo?

A used dual 800 Powermac, on the other hand, would be WAY faster than a brand new eMac and it would be upgradable. For two grand, he could MAYBE pick up a dual 800 or something -- if you can find one for sale that would sell WITHOUT a monitor (could be a tough bill to fill). Certainly, he'll be able to buy a used G4 recent enough that shipped with a CDRW. So, you don't have to tangle with the DVD-ROM drive boo-boo that Apple clung to where he'd have to trash itto install an internal CDRW.

I don't know if the link below will work, but here's a
single 867MHz G4 going for about $1,800.00 -- but with a monitor. So, I figure a dual 867 without monitor might come in under two grand.

http://estore.golden.net/FIRST/owa/tp_fais_otis5?B2TEDB=245264319I17876190519&v_tab_no=7&v_variable=1456&x=23&y=23

I just checked the Buy and Sell online site. There i a 17" G4/800 iMac with Superdrive for $1,775.00, if he can be seduced by the slick sensuousness of Luxo The Lucious

·
Registered
503 Posts
He already said he wanted new, and a G4. Just the tower, no monitor. He knows what he wants, and it can done for 2 grand. If he's just doing surfing, the single 1.25 will do great. Talk to Macdoc. I think he has a few too many of these and he should be able to customize to ensure it stays within his price range

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Right. Well, the answer is obvious, then: the NEW single 1.25GHz G4 for $1,799.00.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there any 1.25 G4 owners in here? What are your verdicts on it?

As for the monitor...my Dad bought a new, Sony flat-panel monitor not too long ago...so he is covered.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I use a 1Ghz G4 iMac and it sails along without a hitch...just make sure you ramp up the RAM to 512 megs (esp if you're gonna use PhotoShop or iMovie).

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would a new 1.25 G4 come with Panther installed?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
My father (He's in his 80's) that has been an avid StarMax
user since 1997 (I think it was 97) has just bought a G4
eMac from the Apple online store, Boy....Is he ever in for a
surprise when he boots it up (Panther is pre-installed) and
finds how different it is from OS 8.6.

He'll have to give me some advice when I upgrade...
Wow...How about that?

Dave :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts