Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Addendum to my last post on OLED's.

It seems, after reading several of the threads on OLED's, that they are already being used on some cellphones and that the contractors who build the iPod are big on the new technology...so we can probably expect to see OLED screens on the iPod sometime in 2003.

My guess is that we will see OLED screens on PowerBooks and possibly iBooks late in 2003. No clue as to a possible appearance on Apple flat screen displays, but you can bet that as soon as the technology is developed sufficiently enough that it will not cause big warranty problems, Apple will jump all over it.

Cupertino is known for being at the leading edge of most of the new tech advances, after all. This is right up their alley. ;)

My personal guess is that....barring some unforseen reliability problems...we will ALL be buying OLED flat screen TV's by the winter of 2004 or early 2005. And they will probably be low cost as well. By that time we will also have them on our computers as well.

We may even be buying flat screens that will roll up like a set of blueprints for transport. With better color and much faster response than anything we can concieve of today. They may also be so cheap within a few years that you will be able to buy "disposable" big screen displays or TV's.

Imagine how this will affect the design and form factor of our future PowerBooks/iBooks.

I mean, hey...there is already a roll-up silicon keyboard for Macs. Perhaps the CPU, HD,etc. could be packaged in a small box like the iPod......

Talk about a small footprint!

The mind boggles. :cool:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Was looking back in ehMac History...

I thought this was interesting, atleast what was posted in 2002.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Im sorry, I didnt know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Addendum to my last post on OLED's.

It seems, after reading several of the threads on OLED's, that they are already being used on some cellphones and that the contractors who build the iPod are big on the new technology...so we can probably expect to see OLED screens on the iPod sometime in 2003.

My guess is that we will see OLED screens on PowerBooks and possibly iBooks late in 2003. No clue as to a possible appearance on Apple flat screen displays, but you can bet that as soon as the technology is developed sufficiently enough that it will not cause big warranty problems, Apple will jump all over it.

Cupertino is known for being at the leading edge of most of the new tech advances, after all. This is right up their alley. ;)

My personal guess is that....barring some unforseen reliability problems...we will ALL be buying OLED flat screen TV's by the winter of 2004 or early 2005. And they will probably be low cost as well. By that time we will also have them on our computers as well.

We may even be buying flat screens that will roll up like a set of blueprints for transport. With better color and much faster response than anything we can concieve of today. They may also be so cheap within a few years that you will be able to buy "disposable" big screen displays or TV's.

Imagine how this will affect the design and form factor of our future PowerBooks/iBooks.

I mean, hey...there is already a roll-up silicon keyboard for Macs. Perhaps the CPU, HD,etc. could be packaged in a small box like the iPod......

Talk about a small footprint!

The mind boggles. :cool:
He missed the year, but his prediction is inevitable at this point. Hey, even sciam made the same prediction for the same year and they were off by a bit too (See cover story Feb 2004)

Scientific American: Scientific American Magazine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts