Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yes, I'm actually still using this program on a regular basis on my B&W G3.

What is the oldest apps you're using on your machines?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
The "Bank Street Writer" on my Apple IIe

·
Registered
226 Posts
"Birthday," a beautiful piece of freeware from system 6.x that alerts you to upcoming birthdays when you start up your Mac. *bows*

Anything older would be on my parents' computers, since I didn't get one of my own until just before System 7's release.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Avery MacLabel Pro v. 1.64
Jan 1995

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do games count? I have a few from 1994 (Club Scud, F117A Stealth Fighter) I still play once in a while. 8) And one from 1991, Around the World is Carmon Sandiago, which I haven't played in years, but still keep for some reason.

As for actual 'productivity' app's, I still use Quill 2.2 (Apr, '94) to force open files when I'm not sure what they are, or where they came from.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacGenius:
ANY version of Quark I think is "old".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear that, I'm still using v3.11 (1992). What can I say? It works and does what I need, nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I don't have many old apps, but I really miss "Scruffy vs. the Invaders from Mars" - I think the Classic II is the last Mac it worked on. It was a B/W Mac only game.

I don't run any classic apps regularly anymore. Although I may fire up Pixar Typestry in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
As all 5 of my Macs are running OS X, I can think of only one app that would be considered "old". Once in a "blue moon", I play a little Eric's Solitaire on one of my home systems. It's a copy I've kept alive since first installing OS 7.5 in '97. I've been moving the pref file with every subsequent OS update. The count is up to approximately 15,000 games played, averaging 1 minute per game.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Global Village fax Center - 1990-99

was not supposed to work past 9.0.4
was unstable under 9.1 but works great under 9.2.2

far better than any version of faxSTF i have ever tried

Also, Links Pro 1992 - golf game - still working fine through all my different Macs and OSs.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Master of Orion (1) or Sim City 2000, not sure which is older.

Ah, that little envelope/label app by Andrew Welch. I love him and his Mac Software Crew: Ambrosia Software Ltd. :D

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Speech Recognition SW, first installed somewhere around the time of Sputnik. I don't know the current version but it apparently is updated daily. What I like most about it, is the fact that it runs on virtually no memory; exactly how little is difficult to tell, but I can report that available memory is obviously shrinking with each passing moment, yet it still runs. A little buggy, but does the job. Running on an ancient chemical-electric processor, which is networked by a cumbersome and slow interface (AMP, or analogue-mechanical protocol) with a PowerMac G4.

On the G4, it must be QuickDex, a freeform database dating back to System 7.1. It's the app I got for free from my first Mac Bible CD, somewhere back before there was such a thing as a PPC Mac. Essentially similar to PhonePad, I would guess. I hacked it with ResEdit about 7 years ago so that the text entry window is resizeable to 800 pixels vertical.

I've mentioned this before, but I did run System 6's Font-DA Mover accidentally once. It launched in Classic and appeared to run perfectly. However this is of limited value (and doesn't really apply to the topic), as it has no earthly use after the introduction of System 7. Didn't crash, though.

As for games, I still play Civilisation II on the G4. It runs even better than it ever did on the first computer I used it on, a 1st generation PowerMac.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Moebius Engineering's I Ching.

Still works just fine under Classic.

G/<

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, I still use WriteNow - even over my ethernet network on 9.2.2 but as MacDoc says, it be buggy! Biggest problem seems to be fairly large files - save often and early - then swithcing over to another application. Freezes royally.

Too bad, tho', because I still like the unbloated look of WriteNow and I have trouble forcing myself to launch Word.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
AppleWorks 6.2.4.

I've successfully -- and quite happily -- made the wonderfully warm and fluid transition from 9 to X. To insert the typical 2 cents, I am far past the point of being fed up with AW's antiquity -- though I have no doubt that 7 is coming, however slowly...

OmniGraffle is the single best application on any platform!! Buy it!! Kill for it!! Step over your own mother to get a copy!!

[Note: Podboy does not advocate violence in the course of procuring OmniGraffle. YOU try to explain that after I just said what I did.]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts