Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've done it, taken the plunge and got a new er, old Mac. I am getting a Newton 130 this week and a Quadra 840 AV with a 17 inch monitor. Any thoughts on what I should be running for an OS? Possible video card to look for? Any other considerations? I'm looking forward to any replies. Also if you have any inexspensive or free stuff that you have kicking around that would be great to add, I'd be willing to pay postage to ship to Saskatchewan. I'm looking forward to noodling around with the system. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
You'll want to run OS8.1 on the Quadra 840. Anything newer than 8.1 requires a Power PC. It's a pretty good OS since it supports HFS+ disks and is lean and mean.

The Quadra has built in video, but you can also use an old Nubus video card. There shouldn't be a problem running a 17" monitor.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I often see nubus video cards on ebay.ca and com that are very cheap.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I second the vote for additional video cards especially if you can get a high end graphics card.

The 840 has some very cool AV possibilities - see Lowendmac.com for a description. Radius had a bunch of cards made specifically for the 840

Do you need an ethernet card? I think I've got one kicking around

1 - 4 of 4 Posts