ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run mac os 8.1 on one one my pcs just so my old LC575 has a link to a decently powerful computer but just so everything works I want to get mac os 8 to run on it so what I have absolute compatibility I have been looking at soft mac by emulators here the website I have the mac to get the bios or rom I have the mac os 8 cd the floppy drive and softmac basicly everything but a stupid .dsk file to save my system files in so if you can tell me how to make or get one that would be great

·
Registered
312 Posts
Why don't you just get SheepShaver and run OS7-9 on a modern mac?

LC575 has a CDROM, right? Why dont you just burn some CD-RWs? They are dirt cheap now. For getting data off the 575, your best bet is ultimately track down an ethernet cable and network it, or use floppies (which may be becoming less cheap as nobody uses them anymore) as a lot of Winboxes still come with floppy drives.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I want to run mac os 8.1 on one one my pcs just so my old LC575 has a link to a decently powerful computer but just so everything works I want to get mac os 8 to run on it so what I have absolute compatibility I have been looking at soft mac by emulators here the website I have the mac to get the bios or rom I have the mac os 8 cd the floppy drive and softmac basicly everything but a stupid .dsk file to save my system files in so if you can tell me how to make or get one that would be great
I guess the logical question is, compatibility with what.....

Seems more practical as MT suggests to just network to your other Mac if you have one....

·
Registered
312 Posts
you know for a lot less trouble you could stick a modern motherboard in that lc575 (or at least a G3). Anything with USB and you're good to go, really.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
you know for a lot less trouble you could stick a modern motherboard in that lc575 (or at least a G3). Anything with USB and you're good to go, really.
Which modern motherboard? The LC 575 uses a special connector at the end of the motherboard that slots into the case which is not compatible with any newer Mac motherboards. Not even the LC 580 motherboard is compatible

The best use of an LC 575 is to swap it's motherboard into a Color Classic add 128mb of ram and a comm slot ethernet card.

Frankly for $50 to $100 you could pick up a really nice iMac slot loader or with some luck an eMac.

K

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that isn't correct, you can't just drop another MB into an LC 575 without MAJOR surgery and even then it probably will not work.
Kevin's Old Mac Archive

Macintosh Color Classic

Kevin
he is right I have a g3 mother board and the connectors are close but not close enough but I am networking myy performa anyways so is the a way to do file sharing between vista beejacon and mac os 8.1 probly a very impossible thing to do but you never know

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im being an idiot

why am I trying to network with vist when I could network with a mac I just read the other forum posts would it be able to share files with tiger

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why don't you just get SheepShaver and run OS7-9 on a modern mac?

LC575 has a CDROM, right? Why dont you just burn some CD-RWs? They are dirt cheap now. For getting data off the 575, your best bet is ultimately track down an ethernet cable and network it, or use floppies (which may be becoming less cheap as nobody uses them anymore) as a lot of Winboxes still come with floppy drives.
I cant burn cd-rws beccause the computer a thousand years old but I have been using floppys but if there is a solid file the is over 1.3 mb (for some reason my mac cuts of .1 mb of space of the floppy) I cant back it up unless some could find a file chopper for mac os 8.1

·
Registered
535 Posts
How are you networking the 575? Does it have Ethernet capabilities, or just the serial port AppleTalk?

Here's an article by a guy who set up the web server on a newer Mac and dumped all the files he wanted to transfer into the Sites directory, where the older Mac could find them to download.

Moving Files from Your New Mac to Your Vintage Mac

why am I trying to network with vist when I could network with a mac I just read the other forum posts would it be able to share files with tiger

·
Registered
312 Posts
Maybe you can do a three step process.

Go get a USB imac or any USB using mac that has OS9.
Transfer data through the net or usb sticks to the OS9 machine.
Then, it should be simple to network the OS9 machine with the OS8 machine.

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
If you set File sharing up on the LC575 should be no issues once you have the ethernet port. To access the Tiger machine you may need to create an HFS standard disk image and use that to share files back to the LC.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
he is right I have a g3 mother board and the connectors are close but not close enough but I am networking myy performa anyways so is the a way to do file sharing between vista beejacon and mac os 8.1 probly a very impossible thing to do but you never know
A G3 motherboard from a Beige or the AIO? In either case no you are both incorrect the connectors might look similar but they are NOT the same and will not work. Or just blow up the MB if you don't believe me....

File sharing, yes just turn it on and network the two computers through a hub as long as you have an ethernet card in the 575.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
How are you networking the 575? Does it have Ethernet capabilities, or just the serial port AppleTalk?

Here's an article by a guy who set up the web server on a newer Mac and dumped all the files he wanted to transfer into the Sites directory, where the older Mac could find them to download.

Moving Files from Your New Mac to Your Vintage Mac
Way back we set up an LC 475 and ran Apple Internet Router on it. Just needed a PDS Ethernet card and ran localtalk to the older Macs that did not support ethernet.

K

1 - 15 of 15 Posts