Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm finally trying to clean my old computer's hard drives so I can get rid of it but it will not enter recovery mode when I hold down Cmd R. I've moved to a different USB port and tried both cmd keys on the keyboard.

Can anyone offer me a suggestion so I can clean this and move it on out of the house?

It's a G5 running 10.4.11

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
43,585 Posts
I don't beieve G5s could do recovery mode. There was an erase function when you booted up from the install disk.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
I'm finally trying to clean my old computer's hard drives so I can get rid of it but it will not enter recovery mode when I hold down Cmd R.

You will have a hard time trying to get that Mac to do that.
That Mac does not have any capabilities of booting into Recovery Mode.

There is no Recovery or Internet Recovery in a G5 Mac. The highest system you can install is Leopard (10.5) and this can only be done from the install disks. The originally installed system was Tiger (1.04), again, installable only from install disks. Either type of install disk can be booted from to run a check on the hard disk from Disk Utility. You cannot boot from the Time Machine disk as it does not contain an operating system.

You'll have to do a Google search for whatever it is you want to do.

EDIT: it looks like Macfury had just previously replied with the same answer, so that should confirm it's incompatibility of using Recovery Mode.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Also, read and do all those extra necessary things that are needed to be done when getting rid of ones Mac. Apple's guidelines can be of some help for a checklist:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh! I did not realized! No Recovery Mode! Doh!

For this:

Also, read and do all those extra necessary things that are needed to be done when getting rid of ones Mac. Apple's guidelines can be of some help for a checklist:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

- Patrick
=======
If I completely erase the HDs and re-install an OS, do I need to worry about those things?

Thanks everyone! and sorry to be slow to respond. I didn't get the email notification that anyone had replied yet. Not sure why.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
If I completely erase the HDs and re-install an OS, do I need to worry about those things?
I don't use most of them but I believe one should unsubscribe excetera or what else is needed that the Mac might be associated with.

If Apple is suggesting to do it I would certainly recommend you do it and save any hassles and problems that might arise if you don't..

A little bit of work now might save you a lot of work later on. And I would recommend you do what they suggest.

You did ask didn't you??? ;-) But I'm just trying to save you from some problems later on.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Patrick. I appreciate that. I did go to do the iTunes one but couldn't because I don't have the computer connected to the internet and am not sure if it would be safe to given how old it is. Or, am I worrying for nothing? ...non-techie here :-[

·
Premium Member
43,585 Posts
No. To any user, it's a brand new HD at that point.

If you're preparing to erase, no real reason to kill old iTunes accounts, etc.

However, if you do go onto the Internet, be prepared for a prehistorically slow experience. I had to do it once with a machine that old and found that only an old version of Chrome worked reasonably well.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. To any user, it's a brand new HD at that point.

If you're preparing to erase, no real reason to kill old iTunes accounts, etc.

However, if you do go onto the Internet, be prepared for a prehistorically slow experience. I had to do it once with a machine that old and found that only an old version of Chrome worked reasonably well.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts