Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, you all know that I'm a total Mac fanatic. I evangelize. I promote. I even am reduced, at times, to outright snobbery. So it goes without saying that it pains me to be critical of the things I realllly enjoy using.

Safari, case in point. I realize the problem with Safari's ability to read certain web pages is due (mostly) to those site programmers not following standardized coding parameters, coding for MSIE or other "out there" code hacks to achieve certain looks.

But really, couldn't Safari be just a little more flexible?

I've just been dragged into the world of facebook. In trying to upload photos, both the standard Safari install and the Webkit nightly builds will outright crash upon trying to (I think) run the java(script?) that controls the process.

Firefox does it without a complaint. Are these three browsers not drawing upon the same system-level java(script?) to do the job? So what's the problem?

Firefox is my "safety net". It works on sites that Safari and WebKit won't. But, forgive me Mozilla fans, Firefox remains butt-ugly. The rendering of text fields, drop-down lists, all those little interface elements still remind me of rough, square Windows-style GUI.

I like Safari. I want to keep using Safari. I just wish the darn thing would work with more than "most" of the websites I visit - I want it to work ALL the time!

/end of rant.

M

·
Registered
968 Posts
Odd, I use facebook with Safari and the image uploader works fine for me. I'm actually surprised it works so well, in fact. However, I've also started using the facebook iPhoto exporter. It allows you to export from iPhoto directly to your Facebook account. Check it out:

http://developers.facebook.com/iphoto/

Trev

·
Registered
470 Posts
Safari blows.... ;) I just don't know why Apple can't get this thing working, it's just the worst. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay - so I've done all the usual things to get Safari to work, but no go. Have deleted preferences, cache files, etc. Even did the "Reset Safari" thing (and now I have to remember all my darn username / password combos).

No luck.

I've reinstalled Adobe Flash Player (which seems to be the problem) to no avail. One of my favourite sites, The Boondocks, comics, editorial cartoons, email comics, political cartoons is a daily visit - but it's an empty visit these days.

Any suggestions?

M

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, as you've done everything I'd do, but Facebook works fine on Safari for me. I've uploaded meny photo's. It's takes a little bit of time to load the photo thing, but it loads. I'm on a iMac G5

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have you tried dumping it and copying the app from another mac in the house?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
It's definitely your system. I use Safari daily for my Facebook, and the Boondocks webpage looks fine to me.

Possible it's the "daily builds of Webkit" that have pooched your system. Use Firefox until you can resolve your Safari issues.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, amigos. I did a second install of the Intel-specific Flash 9 plugin, and it all came back to life. Weird-o.

And Guy, from what I understand, the WebKit nightlies don't affect Safari (standard) - they operate independently and the nightly build components don't migrate "down" to the "old" Safari. But thanks for the suggestion.

FireFox: still my 2nd browser, but I still think it's darn ugly in how it displays checkboxes, buttons, etc. - all square and Windows-y. ;)

M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts