Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBM 64-bit PowerPC to be unveiled tomorrow
October 13, 2002 - 21:15 EDT   IBM on Monday will announce its new 64-bit PowerPC processor with speeds starting at 1.8 GHz, reports Reuters. The new chip is based on the company's Power4 design, and will be able to run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. The processor will be available in the second half of 2003 and will be built in IBM's East Fishkill, New York plant. IBM declined to comment on which PC makers would use the chip, but Apple is widely expected to adopt it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Please, please, please, please, PLEASE can we have this for our favorite hardware??!!

BTW-Posterboy and Rick....I'm crossing EVERYTHING I can think of here on the farm! (I even crossed my neighbor recently....but that's a different story)

We really need this chip and I agree that Motorola isn't going anywhere these days.

Heck...I'm ready to sacrafice a wild turkey to the IBM gods. (Wonder what the protocol on that is?) :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I cant get excited over a new chip that's over a year away from retail.
Im just hoping for usual speedbumps to get us through for a while.
But it is likely that a 64 bit chip,like this will be an eventuality.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
um hmmm
I got all hot and bothered last December when everyone was sure the G5 was coming in January, and was all bummed out when it didnt happen.
I hope Apple keeps on improving, but dont get too worked up if things don't progress as fast as you hope.
In fact you never know what new technology Apple has in store....
Still there is a lot of hype and rumor swirling about the new IBM power4 desktop version, we must be due for some major recision all over the line between now and Macworld SanFran.
Mark

·
Registered
227 Posts
thick skulled PC user-"it's only 1.8ghz?"
somewhat intelligent PC user-"900mhz bus!!"
Mac user-"get out of the way, here come the switchers!"

·
Premium Member
30,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts