Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I used my .mac account to send a birthday card to a friend . As usual I sent a copy to myself
When it arrived in Mail it had been flagged by mail as Junk (spam) while in training mode. The person on the other end is a PC so no problem but what if they had been Mac users and had moved out of training mode. I assume that they would never have seen it If Mail rejects Apple produced messages we are in doo doo

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
My guess is it will flag all eCards.
During the recent Valentine's Day, a "spam" eCard was in the wild; it said something like:
"A Secret Admirer has sent you a Valentine"
... and took you to a spam info/personal data collecting site. Filling out the form was required to view the eCard. Same old technique of playing on our insecurity and curiosity.

Look for this technique to be used again during the next "holiday".

Hopefully everybody does vet the flagged spam on OSX's mail.app. As for me, I don't get spam so my filter doesn't even really work (it's not "trained").

Not exactly elegant, but genuine eCards should probably be preceded by a plain text eMail so the recipient can have a heads-up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Train it.

The Mail.app Junk Mail filter, like most heuristic-based spam filters,, isn't 100%. But the Mail.app one does have the ability to learn (the first time through, mark it as "Not Junk Mail" and then try a new one (even a test one) to see if it occurs.

As well, even after training mode is off, Junk Mail can still be "checked" from it's own folder. If something shows up that isn't supposed to be there, unflag it as junk and the filter should learn again.

I've been training mine for about 6 months in total. I had to flag a few emails a day initially, but in 6 months I'm pretty much flagging one email a week at most.

:cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered Grifftax today and Mail flagged the confirmation of the order as Junk . Gord can you expand on hueristic (sp) works in laymans terms . Perhaps as a new posting so it is not buried here

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry gord i just noticed that is was strongblade that posted the heuristic note The same request to you Strongblade if you will ....or anybody else who can expand on the method Keep it simple for this senior senior :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts