Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few threads on the fact that some of the web software used by the Canadian government web sites is incompatible with/not supported on Macs. In this article by Jack Kapica (Globe and Mail) is the interesting fact that on-line Employment Insurance forms are incompatible with the Mac. It includes this amazing quote from the HRDC web site: "The vast majority of the Canadian public access the Internet using PC (not Macintosh) computers," the page says, and so it has placed a priority on "the platform of choice."

I wonder if there is any way to rally the considerable talents and size of the ehMac community to lobby the Feds not to exclude a significant minority of their tax paying serfs?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
The problem is nobody ever asks the right questions. Questions like "Given that standard technology exists that is compatible with all platforms and can be implemented with the same amount of work, why would the government even consider choosing a technology that is propietary to only one platform?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's easy... The work was done by Arthur Anderson (yup... of Enron fame). Accenture is their IS/IT consulting branch.

Their 'excuse' that the XML parsing isn't correct on a Mac leads me to believe that they don't have any idea of what XML is and why it really is cross platform, or there's some library written by some 'rocket scientist' south of the border that they were used because they knew of no other solution or were mandated to use. I could give them a parser that I wrote to do their XML parsing. Cross platform, fast, and solid. It would also mean that they have to compile it for UNIX boxes... oh wait...

Besides, take a look at this smoking gun.

(My poor tax dollars!)

John

PS: Hey mayor! How come I can't use option-; for (...) in the message. It keeps getting changed to ?.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I read that story early this morning abd it made me steaming mad.
XML and Javascript are freakin solid on most Macs at least from 9.x up on through 10.x
i agree with JohnyG4, it's a cop out. and as usal the government tries to cover their incompetence with double-speak.
I wonder if they didnt block Mac browsers, would their really be a problem?
Frankly you can block any browser you want so its a sham

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Protest.. could you boycott the Government?

Let's do like they did for the Gun Registry and plug up the lines at Revenue Canada.. oh wait, they are already jammed up!

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can just see it. A bunch of rabid Mac users storming into Jane Stewart's (sp?) office demanding an end to this 'second class citizen' stuff.

Well, first, she wouldn't know what was going on with the EI system - she's only the minister - and has better things to do like lunch in the subsided Parliamentary cafeteria and second, what good would it do except to get our mug-shots into CSIS's database?

Sorry, I've just had it up to here with those bozos who don't know where our money is going (Stewart), who lie like a rug (Collenette) and to make matters worse aren't even on the same page when it comes to international issues (Macallum and Jean the Cretin).

Blaah ... I'm soooo jaded.

John

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Sounds like the makings of a good email campaign to one Paul Martin.

He is running for the Liberal leadership should be made aware of these types of issues.

You can use the online form on his website
http://www.paulmartin.ca/eng/contact/index.cfm
OR
his direct email address:
[email protected]

Snail Mail and telephone:
Riding Office Contact Information:
7731 Newman Boulevard,
Ville LaSalle, QC H8N 1X7
Telephone: (514) 363-0954

Parliament Hill Office Contact Information:
Room 458 Confederation Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Telephone: 613-992-4284
Fax: 613-992-4291

Let's make our voices heard !!

Yes, I've already sent my emai.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Well, this goes straight to the Sun-Microsoft lawsuit, and the reasons why there's a lawsuit to begin with.

Microsoft builds broken Java into Windows and broken JavaScript into Internet Explorer: Broken Java/JavaScript is now the standard with many enterprise organisations. Apple builds (according to Sun itself) the best Java & JavaScript implementation available, and Gov/Ca's sites won't work because it's real Java/JavaScript.

And you though Bill just wanted to be different.

Just cuz: it's worth repeating here, because nearly everybody gets it wrong. Java and JavaScript are completely different. Not the same. Not even close. It's unfortunate about the similar names, because it confuses everybody.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Post this issue on as many websites as possible with the contact info. for Mr. Martin so he is made aware of it.

The more the merrier.

Be part of the process !
Dr. G., macnutt, macdoc, macello, and everyone else, come join the million Mac march.

(You'd be surprised what a coordinated effort can do)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I wrote to Paul, as has been suggested. I also wrote to Joe Clark at

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
macdoc,
you should email martin and clark
gives them ammunition to be champions of the people so to speak

as for a mac user willing to stick his neck out at this precarious political time, well good luck.

i still ask that as many of the ehMac members email marting and clark

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I wonder if there is any way to rally the considerable talents and size of the ehMac community to lobby the Feds not to exclude a significant minority of their tax paying serfs?
Well, you could always try telling them they are breaking government policy by not making the information available to the Mac community.

"Information must be accessible so citizens, as responsible members of a democratic community, may be aware of, understand, respond to and influence the development and implementation of policies, programs, services and initiatives. Information must be available in multiple formats to ensure equal access. All means of communication - from traditional methods to new technologies - must be used to reach and communicate with Canadians wherever they may reside. Modern government requires the capacity to respond effectively over multiple channels in a 24-hour, global communications environment."

This is taken from The Communications Policy of the Government of Canada. It is in section 4 of the policy statement.

There is lots of other ammunition in the policy for Mac people to hang their hats on when it comes to lobbying. Have a look.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Isn't Microsoft abandoning their "adaptation" of the Java Machine from Sun? I read somewhere they were but I can't remember where, so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I received an email today from Joe Clark asking if he could pass along my email, entitled "Gov't breaks own policy of NOT providing info. via multiple platforms", to the Government Operations Critic, for his consideration.

Links included were:
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030417.twkapi0417/GTStory
AND
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/sipubs/comm/comm1_e.asp#poli

A snippet from my email:

"Mr. Clark, please bring this issue up in the house to make ALL online
information produced by our gov't accessible to ALL Canadians that have
technology to do so and NOT favour one technology over another."

I encourage more ehMac members to email Mr. Clark on this issue.

[email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts