Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Quote feature

• Huh? What is he talking about?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've seen a fair number of posts where the poster has quoted a very long post, just to add two lines at the bottom. I read the long post the first time, I don't want to have to read it again.

Yes, I'm grumpy. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm sorry...but I liked it much better before :(

I didn't abuse the reply option. I simply hit reply, then erased wasn't relavant to what I was replying to. It made it much easier.

Looks like I'm losing in the polls though :(

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I liked the quote feature since in some heated posts, people sometimes change their posts to reflect

Quoting is the only way I know how to "take a snapshot" :cool:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I never could get the "quote" feature to work properly. I followed the directions, and did everything as per instructons...but it never worked. Sort of like Jaguar, when all is said and done.

I like the new format. It seems to be better than what we had before. This is a GOOD thing!
:D :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I also just realised that I have stopped using it lately, I don't even know why I asked about it really. Stupid 3 in the morning.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Using the post feature is an important tool for debate and discussion. It allows you to take snipits of longer emails and respond to just the portions you need to.

This is especially important on longer threads when people are posting fast-and-furiously...and may not remember a particular person's reasoning from an earlier page.

Please...keep things as they were...with perhaps a limit on the number of lines that may be quoted or something similar.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
VertiGoGo wrote:
Using the post feature is an important tool for debate and discussion. It allows you to take snipits of longer emails and respond to just the portions you need to.

There's nothing saying that you can't quote posts manually. I just don't think ehMac should make it easy.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Then I think I have misunderstood something someplace.
I thought we were talking about actually removing the "Quote" button from the bottom of the screen. My mistake...you may flog me later. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
"There's nothing saying that you can't quote posts manually. I just don't think ehMac should make it easy."

Right! It's a fairly simple task to highlight, copy, paste and place quotation marks around the relevant text OR place the quoted text in bold tags. Too often the "Quote" feature is abused, forcing the reader to scroll through redundant text.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I'm with the blinking eye above me.
Cut and paste is so automatic.
Robert

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I like the third option, as I never used it... But its very useful when used appropriately (eg. quote a section) but well, I'll just have to remember how to use the QUOTE code.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I say leave it the way it currently is. If you want to quote a couple of lines all you have to do is a simple copy and paste - it's just as easy as before, copy the lines you want to quote, hit reply, hit the quote button and paste the text between the UBB codes. That's just as easy as hitting the old quote reply and deleting the text you don't want.

I agree, as well, users shouldn't be quoting paragraphs of text.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Kosh muttered:
I agree, as well, users shouldn't be quoting paragraphs of text.

Awww... now yer takin' all the fun out of it...

Of course, jfpoole has the right idea. manually doing it CAN be more fun!

Strongblade incoherently babbled:
Where the heck are my pants?!?!?!

of course, it also can be easily abused.

I'd like to go on the record has having just mis-quoted myself. I knew exactly where my pants were. Unfortunately, they weren't on my legs.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
The quoting feature has currently been removed with the thought that we'd rather not have so many posts that quote an entire post. Should ehMax bring this feature back?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
It's not so much the quoting that I miss, It's the inability to reply to an individual poster in a thread that I find bothersome.
If I want to reply to a person in the thread, I'd have to reply to the thread as a whole rather than an individual.

But...I haven't been doing that when I've wanted to reply to an individual, Instead I find that I'm contributing less rather than contributing more. :(

I think that the author of the thread should be allowed to post quoted messages, Then the thread could be easier to manage for the reply side of things and the author wouldn't need to copy and paste from each individual reply.

What can I say...I hate copy and pasting.
:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts