Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help ! It's seems cheaper to buy a new inkjet printer everytime you run out of ink than to buy new cartridges.

Just went to the store today to replenish the 4 cartridges of my Epson C82 (purchased 3 months ago @129CAN$. By the way, now sells for 99CAN$). Total price: 49.95 (black) + 3x 29.95 (each color) = 139.80CAN$. These are the original Epson cartridges. Cannot find the Meritline inks anymore (have they gone out of business?), and believe that the really cheaper inks are just that: too cheap to do a good job.

I just cannot believe (1) that I will be buying a new inkjet printer every 3-4 months and (2) that manufacturers do this intentionally - what an environmental catastrophy !

Can someone help/explain the logic ! Or provide advice.
Thanks again.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
personal use inkjet printers are, for the most part, mechanisms to sell consumables such as ink and paper, on which the profit margin for the manufacturer is much higher

there is no such thing as a free lunch

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx QuestVideo. I shall check these guys out...

My post was more of an editorial than a request for cartridge sources however. I understand that profit come with selling ink. This business model is not unique to printer manufacturers, think cell phones to name only one. I am just surprised to realize the degree to which this strategy is SOOO obvious. Do they really beleive that they can live with it for a long time ? It's really become crasy over the last 6 months with printer prices dropping like a rock down a cliff.

Oh well, who am I after all to raise this.
Happy thxgvg--gloupgloup.
;)

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
...with printer prices dropping like a rock down a cliff.
exactly
again; there is no free lunch
funny, how this model doesn't apply to gasoline for my car though

i guess i'll have to wait for either BMW to sell gasoline or Sunoco to make cars :D

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I am sick of the ink-cartridge printer business model!

I wand to chuck my Epson Photo 820 into the wall!

That's why I recently switeched to laser. I don't need any colour and hopefully it'll last me at least a year.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't think that is the underlying issue here. Can you print a photo with your laser? Can your inkjet output crisp text? Not likely in either case. Both serve different needs and many users including yours truly needs both for work and pleasure. If you have a relatively inexpensive printer, then the cost of the consumables is something that has made that possible. If on the other hand your printer is a mid to upper model such as Epson and Canon, separate ink tanks have somewhat softened the blow of having to replace an entire tank just because magenta has been depleted. Today you can purchase a $200-300 laser printer that would serve most text needs for most people. I don't know many people relying upon an injet for text reports etc. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Don't compare lasers to inkjets in both cost to operate and quality of output. My Tektronix laser can match any inkjet output with ease and it's faster, but ...

... the problem that you have with your inkjets in cost for consumables was probably taught by Xerox to the other companies - you are complaining about $139 for new ink cartridges - try $389 for a black toner kit and $520 for each for three colour catridges and then another $300+ for an imaging kit that says it's good for 20000 images but that number is based on 5% coverage which means you get real life of less than 5000.

I bought my Tektronix because I was told it would be so much better for me than my current (at the time) HP4500 - let me tell you - I miss my 4500. I will give HP credit, if they say the drum is good for 20000 images it's good for 20000 images and not a variable based on your toner coverage and the toner doesn't cost a small fortune either. Eventually I'll get rid of this printer and find something else .. but the lesson for either laser and injet is to investigate everything first before you buy - replacement part costs, ink and toner costs, special paper requirements, etc.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Island Inkjet is great for getting remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges for a fraction of the price.
Check to see if there is one in your neck of the woods.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
initial cheaper prices for inkjet printers always make buyers salivate when compred to laser, but usually they soon discover that laser is a better choice for those that only print black on paper (paper colour is your choice)

laser printers are usually more reliable and last longer and don't have issue with print heads drying up after non use

i always counsel clients to think twice before buying an inexpensive inkjet printer

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great to see that the subject invites so many reactions. I guess I realize that maybe it's time that I get a laser to print black on pre-printed letterhead or something.

Or become a radical disciple of the paperless society !

As I am also trying to become a disciple of the leisure society...

(sigh) =)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The cost of consumables, in particular ink, should be your first question when shopping for a printer.

Next time you go shopping, try this:
Every time the salesman shows you a printer, ask him "how much to replace all the ink for this printer?" "And how much for this printer?", etc.

3rd party ink can work, but you need to really investigate the ink quality. Unfortunately, the OEM ink is usually better, but I understand there are exceptions.

Speaking from experience: I had a Stylus 600 printer die because of bad 3rd party ink; the blue nozzle clogged and never, ever came back, no matter how many cleaning cycles I went through.

Although it may seem the ink costs are a rip-off, consider that they're selling you the printer at a loss (because that's what they do, at least for the least expensive "consumer" models).

"Business/Professional" level printers often cost quite a bit more than consumer models, but there is less cost recovery through the ink cartridges; they sell for $10 or $20 more per cartridge but hold much more ink.

I suppose the only real question is why we haven't seen the dawn of the "free" printer yet. Perhaps, with "smart chip" ink cartridges, we will yet.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I've heard some good things about Island Inkjet (link in a message earlier), but I have never tried them.
They are great. My black refill they did for my former Epson printer was working fine until the printer became all fussy with the colour cartridge.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
2-NEVER let tech know you use generic.Chances are they will VOID the warranty.
I have not met an inkejt printer yet where using 3rd party inks did NOT void the warranty.

Usually people use the manufacturer's ink unitl the warranty runs out and then they run out and buy 3rd party ink.

On a side note; our RIP product actually addresses the ink issue by building in user defined ink pull backs to avoid over saturation.

It doesn't make the inkjet makers happy but it does make our client base happy.

RIP is for professional use, just so you get an idea of price tag.

·
Registered
691 Posts
"RIP is for professional use, just so you get an idea of price tag."

Go the way of the SOHO and you are in the money.

The funnier part is that people use generic toner in their laser machines also.DAMN HELL WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!That not only voids the machine but the 300$ drum unit also.

And then they get upset.
:rolleyes:

Read the warranty.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you need to clean print heads use Distilled Water ONLY!
Anything else will damage and leave deposits on the print head.
If you have a difficult head that leaves streaks, missed spots, or the fuzzies, soak a cloth or paper towel with Distilled Water and let the print head sit over night on the cloth, make sure it stays moist. Then run through the cleanin

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I recently bought an Epson C82 ($57 after rebate!). I thought seriously about buying a second printer just for the ink in the box, then I talked myself out of it because it would be such a waste.

I've heard some good things about Island Inkjet (link in a message earlier), but I have never tried them. I also heard that Costco sells OEM ink for the C82 at pretty good prices.

I recently did a complete disassembly of my old Epson 740 and it prints like new once again. I'm not sure if I go through that process again, but it prints just like it just came out of the box now... I used Windex to clean the print head and everything else that had ink on it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
1-All printers waste ink on purpose.Thats the game and we are all suckers.

2-NEVER let tech know you use generic.Chances are they will VOID the warranty.

3-The industry standard is rated at 5% coverage.That translates into about a third of a page with just text.So if the cart or manual says 300 pages per black ink cart, the reality is 100 in normal persons use.
The legalities are a biz'natch.
I hear it every day and the company type just doesn't matter.All companies will produce a line up of lemons with a good machine in the middle.

Until the day of a cheap color laser,I won't buy.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The sales model, as far as I remember was pioneered by Gilette. They started selling the razors for nothing and the blades for a kings ransom (by comparison).

Where did you buy those C82 cartridges? You paid too much, as they should retail for 45$ +/- for black and 20$ +/-. The total should be around 105$ CDN. I know because we sell them where I work. The C82 is actually one of the better inkjets around in terms of economy, second only to the Canon i850/i860 (see this thread for more info on inkjets, note that some newer models are starting to come out).

Your best bet for most people if they aren't after photo printers is to get a Laser. HP has just released a new model, the LaserJet 1012, which retails for 299$ CDN and offers more than any other Laser in that price range. For comparison the LaserJet 1000 (249$ CDN) does 10 pages per minute with 1MB of RAM. The 1012 does 15 pages per minute, with an Instant On Fuser (first page out in 10 seconds or less) and 8 MB of it's own RAM.

On top of offering more features than anything else in its price range, it is one of few (if not the only) lasers in the lower price range that is actually Mac Compatible. It is also one of the smallest lasers I have seen. HP LaserJet 1012.

That said, the LaserJet 1300 is still a better printer, despite that it costs nearly 600$.

--PB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts