Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's mac mini (G4, 1.4?Ghz, 80GB hd, 1GB ram) - which just went through all the recent software updates (10.4.10, iTunes 7.3.1, QT etc) has started to "faint" as she calls it.

The mini's screen will blank to blue, then black and then return as if nothing happened. The interval between fainting is seemingly random. I suspect it is tired to the last round of updates, but I can't seem to prove it.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Haven't seen it, but it sounds like the screen resolution is changing. Does the monitor make the usual clicking sounds when it happens?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope - no clicking. It is an LCD - but the audio stops playing as well. I check the monitor cable connections to see if anything was loose, but everything is secure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Have you tried booting it from the system CD that came with the machine or an external firewire HD? If it boots okay, at least you will know that it's not a hardware problem.

·
Premium Member
31,014 Posts
That was a known issue with the G4 MMs with certain models of LCD.

You could try tightening the video connector.

Mac mini display riddle.. can you explain - Mac Forums

Lots of similar issues

Apple Mac Mini dim video

We had one client with this and when we switched to a different brand of LCD the problem cleared up.

(from 3/15/2005 mail)
"According to a German website (which I can't recall) (as mentioned here many times - it was the C't magazine review of the mini that had the test results noting lower than VESA spec analog video voltage level-Mike) which reported some testing on this issue, the VGA signal voltage from the Mac Mini is below standard spec. This seems plausible and fits my own experience. As a result you can expect:
- some monitors will never work well, since without the full inpt signal level they will not be capable of displaying full brightness on screen

- some monitors will be perfect right away. These are monitors which include automatic level detection in their circuitry, and adjust automatically to different VGA signal levels.

- some monitors will work just fine, but only after manual adjustment. It is worth checking details carefully in the instruction manual for the monitor to find out how to fix this.

I suspect that most monitors will, in fact, work fine once set up correctly, though many will be dim 'out of the box'. Simply running throught the calibration routine may be sifficient in many cases (as some have already reported).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem seems to have cleared itself up on its own. Perhaps it was just feeling moody. ;-)

I'll keep an eye on the mini and see if it does anything odd.

·
Premium Member
31,014 Posts
It's one of those things where the voltage is hovering just on the edge - so even humidity could affect it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts