Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the list of observances...(continued from the "one button or two" thread...

Frustrations/annoyances/observances...

the mouse/keyboard thing (which I know could be easily fixed if I succumed to the ugly 3rd party hardware which I refuse to do...i WILL get through this!).

The dependance on the keyboard in OSx. and how it in fact is *more* difficult to try and remember all of the keyboard shortcuts as opposed to...for instance...right clicking to find a menu that may have a choice you're looking for that you might not even know exists.

My computer has locked up 4 times (to the point of having to take the battery out to get it to restart) in 2 days from just trying to transfer files on my network, or trying to click on my itunes selection while something is transferring.

The poor troubleshooting documentation *anywhere* for trying to find out what an "error -36/-43" is in regards to network errors.

The clumsy way in which osx deals with "networks"

The "plug and play" that *isn't* (trying to setup my new canon lide 30 scanner) which sucks by the way and I'll sell it to anyone that wants it...

safari...until I finally got it tweaked a little more to my liking...but still find there are WAY too many bugs and therefore unreliable (for instance dead links)

itunes...so far it's not doing what I'd like a music program to do, but being fair to it, i haven't had the chance to find out if it can do what i'd like. for instance organization of music. it's on one hand a little too automated, but on the other hand not automated enough (in regards to music file organization for one example)

and last, but of course not least. It's going to take me a while to get used to "windows being everywhere" and at all different sizes (all never being the size I'd like them to be and therefore getting frustrated trying to use my mouse to resize the windows (see mouse complain in previous post) )

Onto more positive comments...

the hardware is impecible. simply stunning...well designed....sturdy...of the best quality (for example...the
quality of the 23" cinema has beautiful colours, no dead pixels (for now...*knock on wood*) and is just a beautiful display in ever sense of the word.

My jbl ( i know it isn't apple...but anyway) creature speakers do the perfect job for me and look great with my setup...and are so easy to use and set up.

i love the fact that there are all these little programs that you can download to customize your experience ...example zoommouse (I have yet to scratch the surface I know). windows had them too but they were generally less useful.

i love the "anti-aliasing" or whatever you call it. Everything just *looks* better on the screen

mail programs junk filter is doing wonders so far.

i LOVE the dock

and even though this is a contradiction, i kinda like that you aren't *tempted* to maximize the windows in OS X (not like I could with the 23" monitor) and so then I have a few things going on at the same time that I can see all at once
aaannnddd the fact that the window is the same size you left it when you re-open the program the next session.

and that's about it...SO FAR! give me some time and i'll have WAY more positives than negatives i know that much.

I know you are all probably going to flame me and call me windows bias and stuff...but go ahead. This is my honest first opinion. And remember, I'm not new with computers nor afraid to explore or hack. So i've given it my all so far. You may also keep in mind the fact that i was VERY excited to switch to this platform and VERY willing to leave microsoft behind. So it isn't like I'm grudgingly switching.

And at this point I want to thank EVERYONE for their help and support to all of my questions and concerns. Just because I haven't posted back doesn't mean I didn't hear/see your post. It just means I'm practicing what you advised me to do in your post :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Did all four of your lockups happened when transferring files using Samba? Most (if not all) of my kernel panics and crashes with Mac OS X have occured due to Samba under Mac OS X. I've never had four in one day, though.

I just recently set up a Canon LiDE 20 scanner under Mac OS X, and it wasn't too bad (although contortions were involved). It's mostly only usable from Photoshop 7.0 or Photoshop Elements 2.0, though.

At first I disliked iTunes since it wanted to manage my files for me and offered no real control over how (or where) my music was stored. After I used it for a while I realized that I really didn't care how my music was stored, but rather how easily I could access it. I've yet to see an MP3 player on Windows that lets me drill down into my music library as quickly as iTunes.

Oh, yeah, I've been using a Mac for eight months now, and I'm still not used to windows being everywhere.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey jfpoole...thanks for the supportive reponse....

first of all I have no idea what samba really is. Although i do know I have seen the word in the last two days somewhere one of my computers...lol. What i did was go to "GO" and then went to "connect to server" then through some miracle i figured out how to find my PC....typed in (smb://PC) and made sure that the folder I wanted to share on my pc was set to "share" and then it asked me for a password...which I guessed...no idea how the password got there..luckily i use the same password for most of my stuff. and then the folder landed on my MAC desktop...from there i dragged files and folders to my mac desktop from the pc folder. I did a few folders at once, then went to do some other task (which I'm used to being able to do) and that's when I got that horrible spinning gay ball. Everytime I see that now I freak out. I've got 1024mb ram too.

i don't know how else you would transfer your files that wouldn't be "samba"...i'm assuming the smb:// stands for samba.

i see how i could end up having the same opinion as you on the itunes thing....we'll see.

this new scanner totally sucks. it's SO loud and cheapy sounding and feeling. I had a canon N1229U or something like that before this one...same thing basically....but it was WAY better quality and so much more quiet. i'm going to get it back from my parents and sell this POS. I got it from amazon in the states and it's going to be too much effort to try and send it back and get my money back. i'm sure there's someone that will want to buy it and be happy with it.

i think the window thing is the hardest thing to get used to by the sounds of it. I'm one of those organized perfectionist freaks so it's freaking me out a little..but i'm trying to think of it as a positive change...lol ;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Samba is an open-source implementation of SMB (Server Message Block) protocol. SMB is the protocol that Microsoft Windows uses to share files between computers. It's not the most elegant protocol out there, but it works. It's your best bet for sharing files between Windows and Mac OS X.

The spinning beachball isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means the computer is busy (it's the equivalent of the hourglass on Windows). If it sticks around for a while, though, (say a minute or more) then you've got problems.

For what it's worth, it looks like the Canon N1229U isn't supported under Mac OS X (although you might be able to get away with using a driver for a different scanner).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry..i meant to say canon N1220U...and thanks for the link...it's there! I'm getting that scanner back!!! (If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.....should have listened to my mother's nagging voice in the back of my head ;) )

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I found myself nodding in agreement with some of what you had to say about minor annoyances in OS X. For me, iTunes was a big adjustment because I was used to the Windows way of things. The more I used iTunes, and the bigger my library got, the more I appreciated it. Use it for a week and then fire up Windows Media Player (get a coffee while waiting for thing the load), and you'll start noticing all the useless ornamentation on the thing. You watch...you'll be shocked. ;)

Resizing window panes was a learning matter for me, too. I was never crazy about the way this was handled in OS 9, but the first time I saw the green maximize button in OS X I liked it. I guess it's just one of those "get used-to" things. I don't complain about this anymore, since I bought the 17-inch iMac and boosted the display to 1440x900.

By the way, I used to have a few problems with connecting to my PC via SMB. For me, this was caused by keeping the PC mounted on my desktop when the PC went to sleep. Now I just connect when I need it...after all it's just a command-k away.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Hang in there..... There are bound to be things that appear very confusing and "out of place". It's similar for Mac OS9 users "switching". However, you can customize things the way you want them to a large extent (even to the point of having OSX behave more like XP (ugggg).

Looks like you haven't found the control key, contextual menu. This is a bit of a kludge (unless you have a two button mouse that SJobs somehow hates with a vengeance). If you press the Ctrl key at the same time as clicking on an object the cursor changes to a tiddly menu and a drop down menu of various actions appears. The contents of that menu depend on what apps you have installed but its very useful and somewhat similar to the action of the "right-click" in Windows.

As for crashing, sounds like its Samba based. I ain't crashed in over a year - seriously. I only reboot when I've installed an update that requires it for if I want to run fsck occasionally.

And give Safari some more of your time. It does need configuring in the prefs but is a way cool and fast browser. I use it 99% of the time (with auto-fill and Tabs activated).

If you did buy a .Mac subscription, I would strongly recommend you run through the OS X 10.2 tutorial quictime movies that are obtainable through .Mac for free.

Also, while this group has lots of helpful and knowledgeable users (jfp is two-headed OS champ - one in OS X and one in Windows, that is) check out the Apple Support boards at apple.com If you type in your question, you'll usually get a good idea if its been found before. There is also specific help for switcheroos like you who miss certain actions and are looking for their Mac counterparts (check the Switcher tab on the main web site).

At least you have your 17". Mine is still AWOL..... Ordered in Jan! Wahhh.

Off to DC now (am at Pearson). So far, not a single question about SARS.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Pamela, with regard to shortcut keys:
Apple defines the keys, so most applications (any that follow the guidelines) use the same shortcut for the same task. Fairly complicated programs (eg Final Cut Pro, PhotoShop, etc) will have a bunch of others defined. Learning those is part of learning the program, unfortunately.

But, most of the time your key combinations are identical in every program (or while in the OS). Also, it's fairly easy to create your own key combinations if you want. Where that plays a role, is, you already know which ones are taken if Apple's guidelines are followed. Saves some grief for those of us that do create our own.

If you want, download a copy of Safari Enhancer (which gives you access to features for programmers, normally hidden in regular Safari builds). Once you do, you will have a new menu called Debug.
Under Debug go to: Keyboard and Mouse Shortcuts
... to see a list of the key combinations. In many cases, these will be the same ones you use in most applicaitions.

You could also go to:
From the Finder: Help: Mac Help (notice the key shortcut listed; Command-?; may as well learn that one first)
and enter: Keyboard Shortcuts
... and click on the topic: List of Topics
where you will find the first 10 or so topics refer to KB shortcuts. Note some are called "Full Keyboard Access"; those topics refer to shortcuts most helpful to the disabled (and require enabling in System Preferences).

The most commonly used:
Command-O Open
Command-Q Quit
Command-W New Window
Command-Tab Tab through open windows in an application
Command-S Save
Command-N New document
(Notice a pattern here? Generally if you try the first letter of a command's name it's often the correct key, especially with most commonly used commands).

Undo, Cut, Copy & Paste are the four keys on bottom left. Apple chose them because X looks like scissors (cut); C is an obvious choice for Copy; V looks like an arrow (paste) and Z is right there so why not use it for Undo since no other obvious command names start with Z.

Command is the key marked with a cloverleaf (the symbol for Command); on Apple-branded KBs it also sports the Apple logo; thus some people calling it the Apple key.

In text documents, KB commands allow the use of the entire typographic library (provided the font supports them). The one I use most often is Command-G (for the copyright symbol).

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Pamela, since you mentioned some frustration with "windows being everywhere", I thought you might like to know some tricks to minimize clutter:

Option-click on an item in the Dock - it hides the application you were in when you clicked and switches to the new application

Cmd-Option-click an item in the Dock - switches to that app and hides everything else

Option-click the minimize icon, or Option-double-click the title bar - minimizes all the windows of the application

Cmd-~ to cycle through windows of the active application

Hold down Cmd while resizing, minimizing, moving or scrolling windows that are in the background, so it doesn't change your focus.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If you press the Ctrl key at the same time as clicking on an object the cursor changes to a tiddly menu and a drop down menu of various actions appears. The contents of that menu depend on what apps you have installed but its very useful and somewhat similar to the action of the "right-click" in Windows.
For dock icons you can also get this just by holding down the mouse button until the menu appears (should we call this a "slow-click"?)

·
peek-a-boo
16,592 Posts
Yea, thanks for that Elmer. I've been full time on a mac for over four months, and while it's been great, I would say Apple needs to spend more time on the help files for pc switchers like me.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... gordguide,
Doesn't Command-W close a window, or am I still smoking the cheap crack PosterBoy sold me? ..."

Aargh, you are correct. What's worse, I used to use that command all the time (kill popups by using Command- ~ [Command-tilde] to cycle through windows and Command-W to close them).

Popup killer in Safari had erased all memory of this previous daily experience with IE. Bad memory! Bad!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Command-W does indeed close a window.

The biggest one for me having switched from OS 9 to OS X was in the finder, Command-Shift-N makes a new folder while Command-N makes a new window. Annoying because in OS 9 Command-N made a new folder.

As I recall anyway, because it has been forever since I enjoyed using OS 9.

--PB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts