Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the Nvidia Geforce 4MX 64MB card is cheaper in price then the ATI 9000 Pro series. Is there a difference in the cards performance between the two? I'm sort of leaning towards the ATI as that is what I have now in my G4 450Mhz (Rage 128 16MB) Where can I find some benchmark tests...hehehehe......(oh that should go over well with this crowd :D )

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I think the Geforce 4 MX (64 MB version) is better than the Radeon 9000 Pro. The 9000 Pro is down-graded version of the Radeon 8500 (which, is, by the way, better than the 9000 Pro) just like the Radeon 7000 is a down-graded version of the Radeon 2001 Mac Edition. Xlr8yourmac.com or InsideMacGames.com should have benchmarks (if IMG has those reviews).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Lars, you seem fairly knowledgeable on this topic. Might you know the difference between the NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 and the ATI Radeon 9600Pro cards? I wanted to put the ATI card into the 1.8 G5, and when I told them that I wanted to support a Canadian company, they suggested that I consider the differences first, rather than the company. Anyone know the differences???

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Lars for the links. It seems that the Nvidia cards are out performed by the ATI cards on both of those links that Lars provides. The reason why I am going to go with the ATI 9000 is because of the ADC connection. The ATI 8500 doesn't have this available. Although both cards are pretty darn identical in testing. It was interesting to learn that the Nvidia cards use 30% plus more CPU to run a simple task like watching a DVD movie over any of the ATI cards. I tend to stick with Canadian companies myself Dr. G. and since I haven't had any problems with my ATI card in my machine now, I think I will stick with ATI.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dr.G, the 5200 is a crappy crappy card. CRap. CRAp, and CRAP.
I'd go for a 9600 Pro anyday. It's like a 9700 Pro, but a 128-bit card instead of a 256-bit card. It's night and day better than the 5200. The 5200, in fact, is slightly better than a GeForce4 MX card. It's a hacked-apart cheapo NVIDIA ultra-low-end card with low-end RAM, clock speeds, etc. I'm pro nvidia and pro ati, but really, you do want a 9600 over the 5200.

I can get much more technical if you want. But you'll have to wait until later tonight. Off to supper with TheWife(tm).

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
In logic terms the Radeon 9000 is much better than the GeForce 4mx, however it all comes down to drivers.

And both ATI and nvidia drivers for their respective mac cards suck.

I would take the Radeon 9000 on the gamble that ATI will get their feces together and make some reasonable drivers.

The GeForce 5200 is a joke, it is a lobotomized GeForce FX and only marginally better than the GeForce 4mx in performance terms.

The Radeon 9600 is second chair only to the Radeon 9700

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Neil and Trevor
Now just one more question, if I get the 9000 Pro and put it in my G4 450mhz will I need to get the Adapter DVI for a 23 Cinema Display? I read somewhere about processor speed and that mine might need the adapter to run the 23" Cinema Display. Also I read that on my system the 23" won't operate normal, meaning it won't fall asleep power off etc... because of the system I have. Do any of you know if this is true? The info came from over at Support on Apple's site. Oh and if I decide to upgrade with a sonnet card will that affect the 23"?

·
Registered
129 Posts
first question when shopping for a video card:

- what will you be using it for? gaming, office apps, multimedia, CAD, video editing...?

let me know what you'll be doing with it and i can suggest the ideal solution (I work for a video card manufacturer).

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Thank you all for the info, and I shall stick with a Canadian company AND the better card. I am having a dispute with the person making up the order who insists that I don't have to have the extra 512 RAM in pairs, just one 512 RAM 3200 chip, alongside of the two 256's. I told her this is not what I read and that I shall check on whether or not the new G5's need to have additional RAM in pairs. Any suggestions as to whether I am correct or going crazy???

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Neil, I took your advice and put in a formal request to have the ATI RAD9600 card placed into the 1.8 GHz G5 in place of the NVIDIA card. I did not quote your use of the "C" word, but I respect your expertise in these matters. As well, I WAS CORRECT that the RAM needs to go in as pairs, and the person who insisted that I could have two 256's and one 512 RAM chip said that I was accurate in my understanding. Thus, two 512's will be included in this initial purchase.

Thanks again everyone for the info and patience. Drinks at the Cafe Chez Marc are on me for the rest of the summer. :cool:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Dr. G your not crazy (well, at least not on that). Apple themselves states that the machines require DIMMs in pairs in multiple places. On the tech spec page for the PowerMac G5 they state "(PC2700 or PC3200 DDR SDRAM; installed in pairs): 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB (4)", and when you go to the BTO order screen and select the learn more about the memory of the G5 it states " With Apple's dual channel memory architecture, DIMMS are installed in pairs."

If you do not install it in pairs the G5 won't work.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Kosh, luckily I won that "misunderstanding". I have taken Neil Y's advice and upgraded the video card to the ATI 0600 and bumped up the RAM to 1 Gig. I can afford to squeeze in one more gig of RAM for a total of 2 Gigs. Any suggestions, or is that overkill for non-professional video edition?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Kosh, re you comment that "Dr. G your not crazy (well, at least not on that)", was it not YOU that started the Monster Thread re the doxie commercial??? :D
:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts