Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

There is probably a very simple answer to this and I am probably just being dumb, but here goes anyway...

I am trying out the trial version of Numbers. I have an Excel sheet where I have Start Time and End Time and in the third column I calculate the elapsed duration. All columns are formatted as Time, so entering b-a in c gives me the correct answer.

I opened this sheet in Numbers. The elapsed duration column gives me weird numbers. I tried to find a way to format that column as Date and Time, found it in the Inspector, but nothing happened.

Any ideas on what I am missing doing?

Thanks and cheers

G

·
Have you set it as a proper time calculation? There seems to be specific functions for time calculation available from the more functions dialogs, you might try those instead of standard arithematic.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I just downloaded Numbers, and there seem to be a number of very basic Excel functions that either don't work or which you can't do - at least not in the way Excel does them and the Numbers Help menu hasn't helped so far.

For instance:
I can only autofill to the right or down, can't autofill to the left or up
When I click on the sum symbol to select the sum of a column, it selects the whole column, not just up to the last column entry
Won't autoformat a date if you just type 3aug07, needs to be 3 aug 07 with spaces
Can't figure out how to do the "time arithmetic" that tilt mentioned above

On the other hand, it has a nice feature where you can split a column with one click of the mouse - I don't think you can do that with Excel that easily.

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you set it as a proper time calculation? There seems to be specific functions for time calculation available from the more functions dialogs, you might try those instead of standard arithematic.
Thanks MGuertin. Yes I checked the functions menu for all the date and time related functions and the way to do it is just plain subtract one from the other. My point (I realised this after posting) is not that Numbers does not do time arithmetic, but more that Numbers does not display the result as a time, but rather as a value of that time in terms of decimal days. An hour is displayed as 0.0416666839 or something to that effect.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
..........Numbers does not display the result as a time, but rather as a value of that time in terms of decimal days. An hour is displayed as 0.0416666839 or something to that effect.
But that is a flaw in the program.

The cell with the result is defined as hh:mm:ss, and should display the result as such

1 - 5 of 5 Posts