Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Most of downtown Greensburg, Kan., was leveled on Friday night.

Reports say now it was 3/4 mile wide. 95% of the homes damaged. :eek:

9 dead and counting/

GREENSBURG, Kan. (AP) -- Most of this southwest Kansas town was destroyed by a tornado, part of a violent storm system blamed for at least nine deaths, officials said Saturday amid warnings of more severe weather.

It may take days for emergency crews to remove all the victims -- dead and alive -- from the rubble of homes and businesses, the city administrator said Saturday.

The dead included eight in Kiowa County, where Greensburg is located, and one in nearby Stafford County, said Sharon Watson, a spokeswoman for the Kansas Adjutant General's Department.

The tornado that struck Greensburg late Friday damaged about 95 percent of the town about 110 miles west of Wichita, City Administrator Steve Hewitt said Saturday.

He said there were fears that many people were trapped in cellars and rubble and cautioned that the death toll could rise.

''We continue to find folks and this will go on for a good couple days -- the rescue itself,'' Hewitt said during a news conference. ''I mean, the debris is just unbelievable. Even if you are in a basement, I mean your home is collapsed, and we've got to find a way to get to you.''

The National Weather Service warned that another wave of potentially severe weather was possible in the area Saturday afternoon.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Severe-Weather.html?hp

Video report here

http://video.ap.org/v/en-ap/fv/fv.h...9-16AAD978023C&t=s60&p=ENAPus_ENAPus&&f=NYNYT

What a monster. Hard to believe a tornado that big.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I have experienced two tornadoes first-hand, but this destruction is unreal. I feel so very sad for those who lost everything in their homes, as well as losing their town.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been in the storm area of several - never have seen one in person.
Can't imagine what this "earth eraser" was like.
Quite a heart felt commentary in the video.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The only part of that town not requiring major repair are the roads...

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Those poor souls have lost everything.

We're coming up to the anniversary of the Barrie tornado at the end of this month. I still remember that like it was yesterday. I just missed being in it's path while traveling up north on Hwy 400.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THIS was a high school :eek:

town from the air

·
Premium Member
42,903 Posts
I was in a tornado that almost touched down in Kitchener. Wonderful to see massive trees pulled out of the ground and fences jumping straight into the air. I don't want to see more than that personally.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
What I always found amazing was the randomness of a tornado. I watched one from the doorway of the school at which I was teaching grade 6 in Waycross, Georgia. The rest of the school was underground in a massive 8 foot wide drainpipe that was buried underground as a tornado shelter. I was rushing around the school opening up the windows. Being from New York City, I did not have a clue as to the destructive power of a tornado.

I watched in fascination as the tornado touched down and went through a farmers field, pulling up corn and tobacco plants. Then, it literally leaped over the school, which was the only thing in its path, and then touched down in the field at the other side of the school. The path of the destruction was about a city block wide. Thus, had it kept heading for the school, there would not have been much left of Memorial Drive Elementary School.

Fool that I am, I might not have been able to get to safety had the tornado not leaped over the school. The scene in the movie "Twister" is a dramatic representation of what these leaping tornadoes are able to do.

Sadly, the people in Greensburg, KN felt the full force of this tornado.

·
Premium Member
42,903 Posts
I remember Xenia, Ohio getting wiped off the map in 1974.

Dr. G: If you'd had the doxies with you, you would have been in that tunnel.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Macfury, I was a teacher in a school, so the lives of my students came first. The doxies would have come next. I was all of 25, so I was young and foolish, and stood in amazement as a tornado touched down about 100 yards from me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
God Almighty, nuclear tornado is right. The city looks like Hiroshima.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
Notice the Graineries, made from concrete, although very tall, main structure survived. If I lived there, and I could afford it, I would build a concrete home, designed to be safe from high winds, Tornado proof.
You probably couldn't afford it. Putting aside the fact that the only jobs there are probably at Wal-Mart, I understand that those building are almost as stout as a nuclear reactor, with walls over 10 feet thick in places.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
My understanding is that, to make a house hurricane proof, while not trivial, is not too difficult. MacDoc's example shows this. A tornado, however, packs much higher winds in a very tightly defined area. Winds in excess of 350 mph are normally encountered in tornados, so building to defend against that is a very expensive, and probably futile, effort; unless you want to live in a grain elevator!

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Internal concrete bunker is not too expensive and very effective.

••••

IN the insult to injury aspect

GREENSBURG, Kansas (AP) -- Four soldiers and a reserve police officer were arrested Sunday on suspicion of looting cigarettes and alcohol from a store in this tornado-ravaged town, state officials said.

In a separate incident, two people wearing Red Cross jackets who were not members of the relief agency were arrested Sunday on suspicion of looting, said Sharon Watson, a spokeswoman for the adjutant general's office. She did not have any additional details.

The soldiers from Fort Riley Army base and the reserve police officer had come to assist on their own and were not part of any official detachment, said Maj. Gen. Tod Bunting, the state's adjutant general.

"These were people who weren't supposed to be there," Bunting said.

Watson said the five were arrested at a Dillon's supermarket and were being held at the Pratt County Jail without bail. They have not yet been charged.

Watson said the five were in uniform, so police allowed them to come and go freely despite a town curfew. She said the officer was from a central Kansas community, but she was not sure which town.
:mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts