Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nuance has discontinued the only professional quality speech-to-text product for the Macintosh (Dragon):

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/24/nuance-discontinues-dragon-mac/

I guess that one could have predicted this when Apple started to include a limited version in the Mac OS. Sadly, Nuance (a horrible company) bought up and discontinued all of their speech-to-text competitors.

Many professionals rely on dictation for their work. If you folks think that this is going to impact your use of the Macintosh, I urge you to write to Apple and implore them to use their influence to have this product made available again. Apple has previously paid third party software developers to remain on the Mac platform when they thought that the product was essential for keeping a lot of users in the Mac camp.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

·
Premium Member
42,489 Posts
I tried Dragon a number of times, but found it just didn't save me any time. I tried to use it to take dictation on clearly enunciated speeches I had recorded, but the accuracy was down around 15%.

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
Nuance has discontinued the only professional quality speech-to-text product for the Macintosh (Dragon):

Well geez, but thanks, I guess that explains why I was having some trouble looking into their dictation software just the last two days or so ago.

I had been trying to use Mavericks built-in dictation for a while but was getting frustrated with it's lack of accuracy and I'm even trying the decent USB Logitech desk microphone I had, and I was wondering if their software would be any better.

From Macfury's and some other's comments, maybe it would be better if Apple just developed their own dictation software or took it over and improved it rather than encouraging a rather dubious company or even paying them to carry on.

- Patrick
======

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Not sure how all this works, but I have had great results with using speech on iMessage for a couple of years now. When my buddy is driving from Calgary to Sask and I am driving from St. Albert to the same destination we communicate all the time via iMessage as to where we are, where we might meet up, etc using our Apple watches. Click one button, dictate the text and push send. Done. All on the wrist while the hands are on the wheel. Don't even need to look at the watch as one learns where the buttons are, then glance at the watch to read it. We keep it short and sweet so it is no distraction.

And a simple request to find friends reveals location at a glance. Tech at its best.

Same goes for using my MBP. Dictate all messages without issue and away they go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts