Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to see that. Also hate to see twitter feeds being passed off as news reporting.
The only thing I look at from those twitter feeds posted on CNN is the videos. I do not use twitter myself, but have watched some videos used for certain events. A time like this gives you different perspectives and views much faster then any news organization can. But yes, not using it as a news source, just a video streaming service really.

I wonder what caused the fire. Looks like work on the roof was going on, could it be as simple as a worker not putting out a cigarette properly?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,378 Posts
Watching CNN now. Unreal!! How sad to see such a structure going up in flames.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the stone structure and art have all been saved and fire is finally out.

I am really curious about the cause, with no facts I think it will turn out to be someone being negligent on the construction crew.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Further:

Why Couldn’t Firefighters Douse The Flames Of Notre Dame Cathedral?

The roof and spire of Notre Dame were all but doomed to burn once flames began to spread, possibly begun by a renovation accident, because of a Gothic engineering technique used to waterproof the top of the cathedral by placing a lead sheet roof over a wooden truss structure on top of the groin vault that served as the ceiling of the cathedral’s nave, according to Ted Henderson, who has a background in medieval architecture and archaeology.

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Among others I've read/heard about.

Billionaire Pledges $113 Million to Rebuild Notre Dame

François-Henri Pinault -- chairman and CEO of Kering, the French-based luxury group behind Gucci, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent and other world-renowned brands--has pledged over $110 million towards the rebuilding of the Notre Dame cathedral.

Pinault, who is married to actress Salma Hayek, said in a statement that he plans to pay through his family’s investment firm, Artemis, for any work that needs to be done following Monday’s catastrophic fire, according to AFP.​

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Craftsmen built Notre Dame eight centuries ago. Now it may be up to robots to save it.

As the first images of charred wreckage inside the Notre Dame cathedral appeared online Tuesday, engineers around the world said one observation was already clear: to return the ancient structure to its glorious past, builders probably will turn to cutting-edge technology that many associate with the future.

Even before engineers had been able to access the deepest corners of the still smoldering structure, design experts, preservationists and engineers were already contemplating which modern technologies might be brought to bear to restore one of Europe’s most iconic structures to its fabled past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts