Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of offering a trade.What they have is a Powerbook G3 500mhz,what I have is the iBook 500mhz 12inch.
Mine has
500mhz G3
20 GIG
384 RAM
CDRW/DVD
A/V cables
Monitor out cable
From what I saw,the PB in question has
G3 500mhz
13 GIG(or so?)
128 RAM
CD/DVD
Basicly stock.

Is a straight trade a good offer?Should I keep the DVD/CDRW for myself and install the cd drive to trade?Is it even worth considering?

Advice guys? :D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
What is your main reason for trading? That would help people advise you on the decision.

Is it just screen real estate you're looking for? If so, grab the Pismo.

But, on the surface I would say the other guy is getting a better deal than you would be. You would get a smaller HD (12GB), less memory, no CDRW.

All you would gain is a larger screen, hot-swappable bays and an extra FireWire. Mind you, the Pismo is more upgradeable (is that a word?)...but then you would have to spend more cash.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be honest here.I have no real reason but I have to admit that the LVL 2 on the iBook is killing me.I find it painfully slow.

I also find the iBook is a bit of a pain to hook up on a desk with all the ports on the side.I'm thinking of replacing my B&W tower and the iBooks speed is not comparable.

In terms of the DVD/CDRW drive,can that be installed on a Pismo?If so,I'll swap that out for the CD drive before the trade.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The ibook burner won't go into a pismo.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shucks.I want to keep that burner.Anybody out there used both and have an opinion?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Whatever you choose to do, you might consider waiting until the 16th of September ...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
you can get a burner for that Pismo dude. There are several that fit in the Pismo and you could have a x24 one - x16 @ the very least for hella cheap (and I do mean combo dr - hell, Toshiba has a super dr that should work on paper). Almost bought one here - but it was sold. I've seen many online. very easy on the install. Most/all will be seen in Toast. To burn in iTunes, you need to make some adjustments to some of the syst files. How is the batt on the Pismo?? That would be my only concern. Apple no longer manufactures/sells them. 3rd parties want $300. :eek: . I like iBooks though... unless you reallyneed that PB.

BTW, take a look @ these drives. They fit the Pismo (with some slight tweaking).

H!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts