Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you not like those posts that end in ....but :)

Here is my problem
(1) iMac DVSE 400 with 256 megs of ram
(2) this my former machine which I limited to 9.1 because 9.2.x would not allow the use of Disk Warrior
(3) this machine went to my grand children when I got my iMac Flat screen .
(4) my grand daughter wants MSM which requires 9.2.2
(5) installation of the various/several upgrades following Apple's rules results in a hang at about 40% of the installer with the message 'Cannot continue this operation" This is on two seperate CD's of the Install 9.2.1 upgrade . Both fail at the same approximate point

Question???? without going into the moral/ethical question which has been beaten to death in another thread ....

Will the Install OS CD 9.2.2 disk from my G4 Flat panel install disks install 9.2.2 on my old G3 machine which is currently on 9.1

The question here is just one of "will it work" and let me worry about the suits in Cupertino. I could of course still own both machines so my conscience is sort of clear.

Of course if anybody has an idea of why the downloaded /Apple updaters are hanging and not completing the install I would be pleased to have any input
Disk First Aid is clean on the subject machine as is TechTools memory check on "free memory"

Any input is welcomed as a 10 year old wants to have MSN contact with her SyncroSwim friends and thinks that Grandpa can do ANYTHING

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Forget installing OS 9.2.2 off of CD's for one thing to save a lot of trouble and just download the update. It's completely free.

Download Mac OS 9.2.1 here: (80.2 MB)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6214

Then download Mac OS 9.2.2 here: (21.8 MB)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6828

And you're good to go. Downloading the updates is usually far more reliable than using System CD's (especially system CD's that came with systems and/or restore CD's).

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
OS 9.2.2 is a free update from 9.1. If you legally own 9.1, you legally own 9.2.2. You can load your 9.1 and download the updates or you can use your OS 9 install from your iMac FP.

As far as updates hanging your system, maybe firmware?
Do you have the most current firmware for that system?
It should tell you what version you have in your Apple Systems Profiler.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Using CDs from another machine for a free update shouldn't be a problem. If you were even to install Panther, you could, but it wouldn't be praised on here (ehMac). In the end you do what you want to do, but the 9.2.2 CD from your iMac will work if need be.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lars the 9.2.1 update that you posted results in the same failure i mentioned so the 9.2.2 update of course cannot be installed

The 9.2.1 update was from the apple site and also from a CD that Apple provided in a Free update of 10.1 OSX at the Dealer level

So Chealion you are saying that the OS 9.2.2 installer disk from my iMac G4 flat screen should install 9.2.2 on my older G3 DV/SE that currently has 9.1 installed but that Steve may indeen provide a distortion reality field on this old bod :))

thanks for input everybody

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
To repeat what someone else said, is the firmware up to date? This isn't a trivial question. Once the firmware is up to date, I would suggest a complete nuke and pave (ie. format the drive and re-install everything from scratch). If that doesn't work, something's really wrong, but there's no telling until you get that far along.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
My iMac DV 400 hasn't gotten a Firmware update yet, nor is it up-to-date, and I'm running 9.2.2 and 10.2.8 without a hitch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"NUKE AND PAVE" I like that!

I'm going to steal that one. :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Brain - Yes, I'm saying that you should be able to use the 9.2.2 CD in your old iMac. At least I've never experienced a problem with them, except for once with enablers when the G3s very first came out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts