ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this website with a very particular agenda, which lists its goals as:

1. Inform the world about the TRUTH about Canada.

2. Expose the lies and deceit of the Canadian Embassies around the world.

3. Expose the money hungry tactics of the Canadian Immigration lawyers.

4. Explain the true motives behind the Canadian Governments immigration policies.

5. Help you - the potential immigrant to Canada - make a complete and accurate informed decision about wether or not you should immigrate to Canada.
Discuss.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
A sprinkle of facts and a whole load of wrong conclusions. It's unfortunate that people feel that way but the shrill language suggests they won't listen to anyone. There are a lot of bad and good experiences out there, this is one set of extreme opinions.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Immigrating anywhere is very hard. The harsh realities are that nothing is handed to you on a silver platter. The simple fact fact still remains that if you come to Canada, work very hard, save, you will prosper over the long term. If you come to Canada, move to Vancouver or Toronto and expect everything to be easy, you will likely be one of the people on that site that is bitching about it.

That being said, Canada is not perfect, and much of what they say holds some truth. I've just seen far to many success stories personally to view that site and lend it much credibility.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Is it just me or does this website not remind someone of a hacked up cbc.ca website? It's as if the CBC images (some) were removed and extra spacing added everywhere with br tags.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What a load of crap that website is. I was reading the the top eight reasons why not to come to Canada: Here a few point which I found interesting:

5. Very High Taxes.
Yes, you have the GST, the PST, totaling 15%, on practically everything you purchase and many other taxes taken out of our weekly paycheck. You have to pay a whopping amount to the government, out of your hard earned salary, so that the government can turn around and give it to beer drinking, hockey watching welfare bums.
I was wondering if the site could explain which country does have taxes that people are happy with. And yes, they might be considered high but that is what you get free medical (OHIP), social services and a free country. Apparently, this kind of service is done free by doctors and nurses in some other mystery country.

6. Health Care Crisis.
Practicing physicians in Canada are in a shortage, 1 in 4 Canadians cannot get a family doctor
Well, go to the US and let me know what you think of their Health Care ($$$)

2. Worst Weather.
Yes, Canada has the worst weather conditions of any country in the world. Freezing cold temperatures, snow, ice, hail, winds, storms etc. From the Prairie provinces to the Maritimes, from the Territories to southern Ontario, the weather is so horrific and disgusting that many Canadians leave Canada simply because of this reason alone.
I don't mean to be insesitive here but we do not have any tsunami's, earthquakes or flooding of whole cities (N.O.). Yes, it is a little cold in the winter (or maybe some people think [email protected] cold). But there is something we call layers or parkas here. Go to Sears and buy some long-johns. It's not that bad, is it?

Anyway, I know people are entitled to their own opinion, but I think the points are pretty weak. Like I would think more compelling reasons would be don't go to Canada because you will be killed for your religious/political beliefs. But the weather? Come on.

My two cents.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I also like how all the comments from people all over the world look like they are written by the same person. :|

I get a feeling that this website is just someone who got screwed, or feels they got screwed and figured they'd go bash Canada... rather than trying to get a job. Good work!

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
I had no idea I was living in such a despicable place.

[hangs head in abject shame, shuffles away into fog of self-loathing gloom)

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
That site is so funny (in a bad way) that it got me thinking: if it deters people stupid enough to believe everything they read on it (or other websites for that matter) without really checking out all the possibilities for themselves, then I think Canada is much better off not having "those types" populating our great land. ;) :D

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
That site is so funny (in a bad way) that it got me thinking: if it deters people stupid enough to believe everything they read on it (or other websites for that matter) without really checking out all the possibilities for themselves, then I think Canada is much better off not having "those types" populating our great land.
Indeed.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
I find the point about professionals (doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc...) coming to Canada and finding out that they can't get registered with their professional association a little stupid.

If you are a professional, I would expect you to check that your credentials would be recognized ahead of time. If you are too stupid to do that, then don't complain about driving a taxi.

The other thing immigrants should understand is that language skills are probably the most important factor for success. You aren't going to be a successful professional unless you speak the language fluently.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
2. Worst Weather.
Yes, Canada has the worst weather conditions of any country in the world. Freezing cold temperatures, snow, ice, hail, winds, storms etc. From the Prairie provinces to the Maritimes, from the Territories to southern Ontario, the weather is so horrific and disgusting that many Canadians leave Canada simply because of this reason alone.
Obviously, whoever wrote this hasn't spent much time in Vancouver, or the south west coast in general.

Other than that, when you move to a country in the north of the planet, I dont see how cold weather should be unexpected.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,646 Posts
When I went to the Canadian Consulate in Atlanta, Georgia back in 1977 to arrange for my Landed Immigrant papers, they tried to talk me out of coming to Newfoundland and Labrador. I was told to go to Toronto if I wanted to find a job and if I liked "big cities". I told them that I had a job waiting for me in St.John's, and that coming from New York City, Toronto was a "nice small city". That did not go over well, but since I had 77 points out of a possible 100 points on my immigration request (back then, all you needed was 35 points to get a Landed Immigrant status) I did not care.

I agree with the point made by Max -- "I had no idea I was living in such a despicable place." In that this is my 29th year here in St.John's, and the fact that NL is part of Canada, I wonder if I should second guess my decision to come to Canada???

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Well, now that this website has told me what's wrong with my life, I can only hope they'll be just as adamant in recommending an alternative to the living hell I've been raised in. Or is it too late already? For one such as Dr. G, someone who didn't start life as a Canuckschmuck, perhaps there's hope; but what of we who were born into this gulag among countries? Are we forever branded, then? Must I endure the seemingly endless years of "the worst weather conditions of any country in the world" until I flop into my frozen pitiless grave, stiff with frigid rigor?

Oh, my. Everyone in the world must hate us. That website ruined my life. Nothing will ever be the same again... ignorance truly is bliss.

·
Registered
223 Posts
And now, a word from "Lucien Bouchard":

I must in all honesty tell you that I couldn't live in Canada, because it's not a real country.

They don't play real football in Canada. They have three downs and extra points and very high scores. They should have four downs and lots of timeouts and low scores. That's what a real country would have.

They don't play real hockey in Canada. You have to look so hard to see the tiny black puck. They should have a puck with a blue glow and a red streak following it. That's what a real country should have.

They don't have real television in Canada. They have Anne of the Green Gables, and North of 60 and Man Alive. They should have Geraldo, and Rush Limbaugh and Baywatch. That's what a real country would have.

They don't have real radio in Canada. They have Morningside, and As It Happens, and even Double Exposure. They should have Howard Stern and Gordon Liddy and heavy metal. That's what a real country would have.

They don't have real uses for nuclear power in Canada. They use it for lighting houses! They should be out there in the Pacific Ocean to see how big an explosion it can make. That's what a real country would do.

They don't have real guns in Canada. A few people have some rifles, a few have shotguns. Every citizen should be allowed to stock up on .45s and .357s and .22s. That's what a real country would do.

They don't have real soldiers in Canada. They spend their whole time acting like friendly policemen. They never fire at anyone. They should order them to attack small countries all the time, getting rid of dictators and foreign leaders. That's what a real country would do.

It's crazy to provide equal health care for every citizen in the country. People should be made to pay for their health care. That's what a real country would do.

And how silly can you get to ask the leader of a country to stand up every day and answer questions about what he's been doing? Instead, they should be left alone to hold meetings and make all their decisions without being questioned. That's what a real country would do.

And listen to this: no matter how bad the crime, Canadians don't kill people. Instead, all criminals should be hanged or shot, or put to sleep. That's what a real country would do.

You see, my friends, I want to live in a real country. Not a country where the winters are always cold. Not a country where the airports are always filled with thousands people who want to move here. Not a country where they force you to pay people at least a minimum wage. Not a country where natives are going to get their land back from the government. Not a country where English and French are accepted everywhere. Not a country where people of all ethnic backgrounds are respected. Not a country where the poor places are helped out by the rich places. These things don't happen in a real country. They only happen in Canada, and I find that very sad.

And that's why I tell you today, I'm going to have my own country. I couldn't live in Canada. Canada is not a real country.

(Thanks to Bob Robertson and Linda Cullen of the CBC Radio show "Double Exposure" for the preceding comment)

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Empty Promises

Vandave said:
I find the point that professionals (doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc...) coming to Canada and finding out that they can't get registered with their professional associations a little stupid.

If you are a professional, I would expect you to check that your credentials would be recognized ahead of time. If you are too stupid to do that, then don't complain about driving a taxi.

The other thing immigrants should understand is that language skills are probably the most important factor for success. You aren't going to be a successful professional unless you speak the language fluently.
Are you a professional? Could you guarantee you could investigate the registration requirements for some foreign land which speaks another language?

I think the fact that Canada's "point system" doesn't match with the professional requirements to be very disingenuous.

I think we need to view this website (and this point-of-view) with an open mind. Many immigrants to complain that they cannot easily integrate and that Canada's immigration system is loaded with empty promises. I cannot condone a dismissal of their legitimate grievances as "agenda-driven."

Being pro-immigration shouldn't mean supporting a sugar-coated message for potential new Canadians. More candid, with less "fine-print" details.

The gov't of Canada is recruiting educated people from other nations to serve as our blue-collar work force. Also, many of those foreign lands are suffering a brain-drain of their brightest minds to western nations, crippling their economic future.

There isn't an easy answer to these problems. But I would love to see a study on the economic success of educated immigrants compared with Canada-born professionals. Could help to tweak the message being transmitted for accuracy.

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Mac Yak said:
You see, my friends, I want to live in a real country. Not a country where the winters are always cold. Not a country where the airports are always filled with thousands people who want to move here. Not a country where they force you to pay people at least a minimum wage. Not a country where natives are going to get their land back from the government. Not a country where English and French are accepted everywhere. Not a country where people of all ethnic backgrounds are respected. Not a country where the poor places are helped out by the rich places. These things don't happen in a real country. They only happen in Canada, and I find that very sad.
Like I said: a sugar-coated message.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You might want to reread the post... or maybe I should have posted a warning for the "humour-impaired" :)

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Max said:
I had no idea I was living in such a despicable place.

[hangs head in abject shame, shuffles away into fog of self-loathing gloom)
You are missing the point. Canada is great for most of those born here. Not so great for those who have immigrated. At least, not as great as Canadian Embassies make it sound.

Kinda sounds like something from the NDP, really.

·
Registered
223 Posts
lpkmckenna said:
You are missing the point. Canada is great for most of those born here. Not so great for those who have immigrated. At least, not as great as Canadian Embassies make it sound.

Kinda sounds like something from the NDP, really.
Did someone say "humour-impaired"? Why, yes, someone did...
;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts