Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends!

Tried to use my copy for OSX, and it don't work (version 7.0). Any news on Panther support?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Are you using Norton SystemWorks 2.0 or 3.0?

The latest version 3.0, has Norton Utilities 8.0. But neither are working with Panther yet.

However, MicroMat has released TechToolPro 4.0.1 ( VT Link) and that is Panther compatable.

I know a lot of people were wondering whether TTP 4 was really vaporware, but it has actually surfaced. And the only report I've seen on it came from a beta tester who praised it.

Hopefully Symantec should release an update for NU pretty soon to make in 10.3 compatable.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
kps, I have the very latest Disk Warrior CD, so that is not a problem, but what the heck is "A little fsck -y", why will it go a long way, and how do I accomplish it?

Cheers

:confused:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
kps, I just reread your post and I guess I had better get all that Norton stuff off my machine too, although I have never had a problem with Norton. It has served me well for many years. Is it Panther that makes the Norton a bad thing now?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Our artists' centre had Norton installed on our two Final Cut Pro machines... with "FileSaver" turned on. Not the best thing to have active when you're looking for disk performance!

We've kept the Norton Disk Utility CD around for emergencies, but from the various negative reports that have gone around the Mac web, we're just waiting for the update to Disk Warrior for Panther to be released (note that the current version of DW boots into OS 9 with no problem... the update will allow booting into OSX-compatible with Panther).

M

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Norton was to OS X as Kryptonite is to Superman...

The last time I tried Norton to fix minor errors, it scrapped the whole darn disk. From then on, it's nothing but DiskWarrior for my Mac.

M.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Knowing Symantec, they will either have a update coming soon, or a new version. And with more people buying Panter for Mac, it shouldn't take them too long. You might want to check out Symantec's website.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Take CubaMark's advice and save supermac. Avoid Norton on OS X...heck, avoid it on OS 9...avoid it period.

If you already own it, keep it on CD disk for emergencies, but get all the Norton apps off of your HDD now.

A little fsck -y and DiskWarrior goes a long way. ;)

·
Registered
993 Posts
DiskWarrior 3 will work with Panther, but not if you run it from a disk that was started up with Panther. (This info. is posted on Alsoft's website.) However, you can run DW if you start from the CD that comes with it, and also, if you run it from another HD started up with Jaguar. (I run it from a firewire external disk partition that starts in Jaguar.) There is supposed to be an update coming from Alsoft shortly that will allow it to run from Panther.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
That's odd.

I have the latest version of Disk Warrior and I have no choice in the matter.

I have to start up from the CD.

The instructions tell me that it does not work any other way.

Cheers

:confused:

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Sinc,

fsck is a file system consistency check and performs similar functions to verify/repair disk in Disk Utility. Only way to use it is while booted in single user mode, Command+s. I'm sure you followed Chealion's link as well.

Have a read at this week's TidBits, they ran tests on OS X (Panther) disk utilities.

Top quote from the article:

"I still think the most important data protection utility you should own is a backup program."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts