Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Inside, students were locked in their classrooms for hours, some weeping, as police roamed the halls with guns and sledgehammers, searching for a killer.

Outside C.W. Jefferys Collegiate, parents were clamouring for information about their children's safety after learning a classmate had been shot inside.

Jordan Manners, 15, was hit in the chest around 2:30 p.m. yesterday. The Grade 9 student was rushed to Sunnybrook hospital, where he later died.

In the aftermath of the fatal shooting inside the Toronto high school – believed to be the first in the city – the Toronto District School Board has cancelled classes today but will keep the school open with grief counsellors available for students and staff.

Mayor David Miller said it's time to "redouble our efforts" to cut down on guns in the city."

Honestly. What the HELL is wrong with people?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Mayor David Miller said it's time to "redouble our efforts" to cut down on guns in the city."[/i]
Redouble? This isn't Bridge Mr. Mayor, too bad gun crimes have only increased since taking office. I heard him on the radio this morning passing the buck to the feds, blaming weak gaurding at the boarder.

As for what is wrong with people, everything!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I fully believe that you cannot blame parents for their childrens choices in life, unless they directly taught them the crime at hand.

My parents raised me very well, but that did not stop me from hanging around with drug dealers (Later doing it myself for awhile), associating with known criminals and participating in numerous illegal activities. Is that my parents fault? No, that was my choice. Anybody that tries to blame their parents for things they have done on their own free will needs a reality check.

I also chose to straighten out my life and distance myself from these people and activities. Should my parents be 'blamed' for that as well?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Is this really the first gun death in a Toronto school? That says something as well.
Ya progression to something worse. Not really something to be applauding, what will be acceptable next year?

I guess 27 murders in 2004 increasing to 77 in 2005 isn't something you want to acknowledge.

And spending tax money on city hall renovations and $50K expense accounts for counselors instead of outlets for youth to keep their nose clean is your idea of doing something to combat this type of behaviour. But I guess his hands are tied until he gets 1% of the GST, until then we're all going to just have accept this as the norm for TO.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
So what are you getting at? Business as usual there in TO. Oddly how this logic doesn't work for most people here regarding temperature and GHG's.

Anyway back on topic, what ever you need to believe to make you sleep at night. I know how it is up there by York, being a YU alumni, I used to go home to Niagara on the weekend and return to my basement aptartment on Jane St. by Monday, and I would read the local paper and see who got shot where while I was gone. But I don't think believing that nothing has changed there since the 60's would have made me feel secure.

So why is it again that Miller can't be part of the solution?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Yes, I was more excited about $350 mth and the walk to class, and didn't do any research. It wasn't until I was moving in when she told me that I should get containers for my food, oh didn't I tell you about the roaches? No, no she didn't. She also didn't tell me about the mice, I found that one out while doing my business in the washroom. Needless to say it scared the "S' out of me.

So how is he part of the solution? Seems to me there are a lot of things he could be doing on his side before passing blame. Guns are only part of the problem, it's also the criminals who use them, and if they don't have guns they'll use something else, ergo Miller time still has a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The boy who was shot and killed is a cousin of one our students at my school. We had an assembly this morning to talk about the incident in order to impress upon our student population the importance of making positive choices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts