Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been an iMac user/owner since 2008 and a user for many years before that (in education). Currently, I'm upgrading my 24" iMac to a 500 gb SSD (Samsung 850). I also use my ipad 2 daily for news, browsing and entertainment. I'm considering upgrading my ipad to either an air 2 or a 9.7" pro. Any words of wisdom from the population here would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to have joined the site and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Welcome to ehmac.ca.

I just thought I'd mention that you mat want to do some googling as some sites mention that the Samsung 850 SSDs don't always work well with some Mac models. You didn't mention what specific 24" iMac model you have.

Sorry, but I don't have a link handy but I know it has been mentioned at thehttp://www.mac-forums.com site several times but I don't recall the specific reasons.

Have fun… ;)

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi again pm-r,

I'll do some more research for sure on that. My specific machine is an Early 2008 24" iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b) and I have 4 gb of ram.

Thanks for your response.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patrick, I did some initial research on the mac-forums site. It does seem there is some concern re the compatibility of the Samsung SSD. However, on the flip side, there are several blogs, forums etc. singing the praises of the Samsung EVO used to upgrade older iMacs. Since I've already purchased the drive I guess I'll take my chances and see. Thanks for the 'heads up' though.

I'll update you when the swap is done.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
HowEver, Thank you - glad to be here!

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the neighbourhood IMac_Mac.

If your system is new enough, you might also consider getting a thunderbolt SSD, and booting in target mode from it. No surgery required on the Mac!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks polywog. i just did a quick search re. Thunderbolt. It was released in 2011. My iMac is a 2008 model so can't use your suggestion, I'm afraid. Thanks for that though.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone, I just got my SSD upgrade done (by Jump + - did a great job). I was going to do it myself but in the end I chickened out. I'm just checking out the speed of this machine and reinstalling a few things that seemed to go missing in the swap. No problems so far (fingers crossed). I'll add some more observations tomorrow ( after I get the water cleaned up in my basement - quite the thaw today here in Southern Ontario)

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just another quick update - everything is running fine, I even managed to get Trim working for the SSD. However, Safari won't work after I updated to Lion 10.7.5 from 10.7.2. No problem though as I use Firefox. No system crashes or any thing like that. I had heard that a few people experienced 'kernal panics' after the SSD update. Nothing like that so far.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm not really sure what the difference is between the combo update and the way I updated. When my SSD was installed the technician installed Lion 10.7.2. When I got the machine home and up and running, software update told me there was an update to 10.7.5. That's how I updated. What would the difference be between the combo update and the way I did it? Thanks a lot.

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
What would the difference be between the combo update and thevway I did it? Thanks a lot.
Theoretically there should be no difference, but many found when some things didn't work properly with a Mac OS X Software Update that downloading and running the COMBO Update would fix things.

PS: The COMBO Updater is often larger and includes more data and can be used to skip several versions.

It won't hurt to do so and may fix things, hence the reason I suggested using the COMBO. Besides, things aren't working properly for you the way things are now are they??? :eek:

Google it if you like, and you'll find the same suggestions I'm sure. ;)

- Patrick
==========

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Patrick, thanks for the clarification. Right now, the only thing that doesn't work for me is Safari and since I don't use it I may download the combo update and keep it and reinstall Lion if I need it in the future (if some other program doesn't work).

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something interesting (at least to me:)). Last evening I clicked on software update and there in the list was a listing for a Safari update. I clicked on it and about a minute later I had a fully functioning Safari browser operating again. I'll keep my eye open for any other anomalies but right now everything seems to be operating well.

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'll keep my eye open for any other anomalies but right now everything seems to be operating well.

I'm just curious but I was wondering why you seem to be staying in OS X 10.7 rather than some later OS X version??? Personally 10.7.x was a God awful OS X version, especially compared to the previous SL 10.6.8, but 10.8.x improved things.

You should have at least the option to get up to the last version your Mac can support, 10.11.x. but make sure you have a minimum of 4GB RAM if not 8GB to use it without frustration.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Patrick, to answer your question, I guess I've stayed with 10.7.5 because it seems to work for what I need it to do. According to Apple, my 2008 machine only accepts 4gb of ram but you can put a 4gb stick into one of the slots and the Mac will recognize it and use all 6gb. What would 10.8 (or higher) give me that I don't have with 10.7? As I said, I'm not, by any means, a power user.

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
What would 10.8 (or higher) give me that I don't have with 10.7

Probably not much, especially if you don't need anything newer, and you can always google the later OS X "features" to see and check.

I'm sure NOT an Apple bigot or fanboy like some that insist a user should be using close to the "latest and greatest", far form it!!! But as time goes on, you may find that things you do with the 'net become restricted or just won't work and even OS X 10.7 and associated apps are entering that area for many users, but it depends on your use.

As for your Mac, you can checkout it's specs on RAM etc. here:
Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison @ EveryMac.com, Est. 1996

BTW: My wife is still using our mid-2007 24" 2.4GHz iMac with OS X 10.6.8 and 6GB memory with few problems.

- Patrick
======

1 - 20 of 20 Posts