Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just in from CNN.com and according to the Associated Press:

"The latest Associated Press-Ipsos poll found that nearly a quarter of Republicans are unwilling to back top-tier hopefuls Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain or Mitt Romney, and no one candidate has emerged as the clear front-runner among Christian evangelicals. Such dissatisfaction underscores the volatility of the 2008 GOP nomination fight."

This is going to be an interesting primary season. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
This just in from CNN.com and according to the Associated Press:

"The latest Associated Press-Ipsos poll found that nearly a quarter of Republicans are unwilling to back top-tier hopefuls Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain or Mitt Romney, and no one candidate has emerged as the clear front-runner among Christian evangelicals. Such dissatisfaction underscores the volatility of the 2008 GOP nomination fight."

This is going to be an interesting primary season. We shall see.
Saying it doesn't mean it's true.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HowEver, while there is no clear front-runner, there is still an open primary in most states that have all of the candidates running in that state's primary. It is when there is a clear front-runner, and all others are not even close to a convention nomination, that it becomes boring. This way, the Republican National Convention might actually be worth watching. We shall see.

I am also sticking by my prediction, made well over a year ago, that if the Republicans nominate someone that is more of a centrist-moderate, the Conservative Religious Right will nominate a third-party candidate who shall run on a Christian Values platform. Again, we shall see.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I am also sticking by my prediction, made well over a year ago, that if the Republicans nominate someone that is more of a centrist-moderate, the Conservative Religious Right will nominate a third-party candidate who shall run on a Christian Values platform. Again, we shall see.
Always possible Doc, but I think it may hinge on who the Dems nominate. If it's Hilary, then I think the religious right may well swallow their pride and do whatever it takes to keep her out.

The big question is still Al Gore. I saw a recent interview where he was (again) asked about running. His reply was hilarious. I paraphrase: "look, there are something like 500 days before the election. Plenty of time for everyone to make decisions". His other intereting comment was with regard to the current Pres and Vice-Pres: he said, in a calm but angry tone, "they have done great harm" to the country. It was an effective, damning statement - more powerful than any 2-3 minute tirade about the specifics of their failings.

He may well be toying with Hilary and with the Republicans. Or he may indeed decide to run.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
HowEver, while there is no clear front-runner, there is still an open primary in most states that have all of the candidates running in that state's primary. It is when there is a clear front-runner, and all others are not even close to a convention nomination, that it becomes boring. This way, the Republican National Convention might actually be worth watching. We shall see.

I do not understand the voting system in the USA as far as primaries are concerned.

Why is it necessary to have the primary and a convention? Is it for situations like this or are you voting for delegates that attend the convention.

Is this why when registering to vote in elections one must register as a party supporter? Is it so you can't vote for both parties in a primary?

What happens when a third party or independent candidate offers for office?

Thanking you in advance for any information.

I once again seemed to have missed the memo. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigDL, the US is a republic, not a constitutional monarchy as is Canada. Thus, the states hold primaries to commit delegates to the national convention for the two main parties. Usually, there is a winner, usually after "Super Tuesday", and the winner of the convention for each party is a foregone conclusion. The primary system was used to take the nomination of the presidential candidate out of the back rooms.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Is this why when registering to vote in elections one must register as a party supporter? Is it so you can't vote for both parties in a primary?
No you can't vote in the primaries of both parties.
This first question is wrong. You do not have to register as a party supporter if you do not wish. However if you don't register for one of the parties you can't vote in the primaries. I register as a Republican so I can vote for their worst candidate...;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Martman is correct to a point. Some states do not require a person to register for a party, only to be a registered voter. So, on primary day, all of the Democratic and Republican candidates are on the ballot. I could vote for one Democrat and one Republican. Most states are doing away with this sort of system, however.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Martman is correct to a point. Some states do not require a person to register for a party, only to be a registered voter. So, on primary day, all of the Democratic and Republican candidates are on the ballot. I could vote for one Democrat and one Republican. Most states are doing away with this sort of system, however.
I wasn't aware of the change. Thanks for the info Dr.G

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
They're all weak candidates, the whole lot of them. It's like Bob Dole for president redux.

Whoever they nom, I hope or she gets clobbered, and the party stays out of power for at least a generation. They deserve it.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Miss G., easy for you to speak coming from a "blue state". I am able to vote again in the State of Georgia, a very "red state". We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Martman, states control the date and the requirements for voting in each primary. The federal election is a fixed date (the first Tuesday in the month of Nov.), but primary dates are fluid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts