ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a known thing that many PC vid cards will work on mac towers w/o boot screens if you're running ML or Lion.

are there any cheap ati/amd or nvidia cards that will work on a mac pro running 10.6.8, out of the box?

looking for something cheap to replace my now dead 5770 (which i brought back from the dead by baking it in the oven, it lasted 2 months, and the screen artifacts are back).

thanks! Not really interested in replacing it with a mac-speciic 7300 or 8800gt.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The only card that would work right out of the box would be Mac specific video cards, which wouldn't be classified as cheap if they are new.

Some PC video cards that could be flashed and could work but it wouldn't work right out of the box.

I considered going this route but the hassle didn't seem to be worth it and I just went with the Mac version 5770.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gah, you guys are right. "vanilla" pc cards will work in mountain lion, but not snowy. damn.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Yes, but only until they decide to close that hole, then anyone who has one will be sorry because after a software update you will have no video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts