Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've ever dreamt about living in a Aqua-free world and were looking for a safe and (relatively) easy way of theme-ing your OS X environment, check out Unsanity's Shapeshifter.

I was never a themer (Kaleidoscope etc.) but had always harboured a secret admiration for the "Drawing Board" theme that's dates back to the OS 8 days (actually it was only released in Japan). Anyway, fast forward to 2004 and there is a semi-legendary Japanese themer who goes by the pseudonym Butt O'Sigh who has religiously kept this theme going for OS X under the title "dxb". You can get a Panther version of this compatible with Shapeshifter here along with a teaser for what it does to your GUI.

Not for everybody, very 2D, very organic. Here's another dxb screen shot courtesy of Resexcellence.

Resexcellence is where you want to be if variations on Aqua are more your style.

Shapeshifter represents a big leap forward for X users who want to theme b/c it runs in the background changing appearance of the GUI on the fly (with little or no performance hit, I've run it on my Ti 550 and iMac 400 with no problems) vs. the system level changes that would be brought in using other theme-ing software or the manual do-it-yourself approach.

There is also a MacNN forum devoted entirely to GUI mods for those who are interested.

[ January 15, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: mycatsnameis ]

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, I woulda thought there would be a few Cdn Mac users themeing their machines. No Ehmac-ers out there using Shapeshifter?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I've used it. Works very well, no problems. I thought that, while a couple of the themes were done quite well, some of them were a bit amateurish.

I liked the 'Milk' theme, thought it hurt my eyes after awhile because it was so bright

1 - 4 of 4 Posts