Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've downloaded iOS 4.3, and I can get to the personal hotspot section where it gives the options of bluetooth or usb. There is no wifi option available. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
The personal hotspot / wifi is an iPhone 4 only feature, it won't appear on the 3Gs.
I thought they had said that during the keynote, but on Apple's page, they are not clear about that at all. :mad: Just says,

"Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier and works with up to three devices over Wi-Fi, three devices over Bluetooth, and one device over USB."

Man, I'm almost done downloading 4.3 and I was looking forward to that feature. :(

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I thought they had said that during the keynote, but on Apple's page, they are not clear about that at all. :mad: Just says,

"Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier and works with up to three devices over Wi-Fi, three devices over Bluetooth, and one device over USB."

Man, I'm almost done downloading 4.3 and I was looking forward to that feature. :(
Funny, I thought it was crystal clear...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
That the kind of thing that apple is doing more and more that pisses me off. Withholding features like that is just forcing obsolescence. Don't tell me the 3Gs is incapable of wifi sharing, I'm doing it right now. It comes down to the fact that their are really very few things that Apple can add to new phones besides processor upgrades, so they have decided to cripple older devices via software. Bad Apple, very bad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That the kind of thing that apple is doing more and more that pisses me off. Withholding features like that is just forcing obsolescence. Don't tell me the 3Gs is incapable of wifi sharing, I'm doing it right now. It comes down to the fact that their are really very few things that Apple can add to new phones besides processor upgrades, so they have decided to cripple older devices via software. Bad Apple, very bad.
I'd wonder about battery life issues with a 3GS. I was using Personal Hotspot on my 4 for about 20 minutes this morning, took around 10% off the battery. I know Apple doesn't like to put a feature on a device, even if the device is actually able to do it, unless it will work very well and will be relatively idiot proof (i.e. someone turns on Personal Hotspot on 3GS, phone drains in 20 minutes, people complain about battery problems, etc.). They don't like to add features unless they are going to work VERY well. It was the same thing with copy/paste pre 3.0, same thing with the camera taking video in the 3G.

Now, feel free to correct me here. I could be wrong and it could be strictly a money-grab. But I do wish, if they had reasoning besides that for keeping Personal Hotspot off the 3GS, they'd come out and say it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WIFI iPad internet via iPhone 3gs

I wanted to get the new iPad with out the gs option as I have a iPhone 3gs with a data plan. For the limited time where I'm not in WIFI zone I wanted to use the phone to get out to the internet using my iPad. Now I'm hearing people complain that the 3gs will not have the wifi hot spot as a feature a it's limited to the 4gs iphone. Can some one confirm that the blue-tooth option works. Again iPad internet access via blue tooth Iphone 3gs. I would hate to jailbreak my phone if the blue-tooth will work for what I need. Thx

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
IMHO, I think that Apple is cutting features for older iOS devices, that somehow become a coincidence to making you want to jailbreak. Apple simply likes to babysit all of us iOS device users, making sure nothing goes wrong in the general front, making sure that in general, everyone is happy with quality (battery performance, running performance) and features (multi-tasking, tethering, folders, etc).

However, the feature that everyone tends to want, despite the odds, is the one Apple tends to cut off to older iOS devices and makes you want to go get an updated device... A little economic scheme, but also a quality control scheme, trying to be the best company out there in general, but in detail, specifically speaking, cutting off Wi-Fi hotspot for 3GS, or even trying to let iPhone 3G users use iOS 4, is where you start getting bad choices and screws anyone up...beejaconbeejacon:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I wanted to get the new iPad with out the gs option as I have a iPhone 3gs with a data plan. For the limited time where I'm not in WIFI zone I wanted to use the phone to get out to the internet using my iPad. Now I'm hearing people complain that the 3gs will not have the wifi hot spot as a feature a it's limited to the 4gs iphone. Can some one confirm that the blue-tooth option works. Again iPad internet access via blue tooth Iphone 3gs. I would hate to jailbreak my phone if the blue-tooth will work for what I need. Thx
Bluetooth works. You're limited to about 1.4 Mbps which is lower than what you can get through 3G.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Call me ignorant but what is the benefit of this over tethering? No wires for USB is my guess and bluetooth is too slow?
Support for multiple devices. Support for devices that don't do BT. E.g. One could hook up an AppleTV and iPad to a Hotspot iphone. Would make for an interesting portable presentation device (connected to a TV).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.