Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the new info from Intuit and there is no mac program listed.
Did an ehMac search and see that a lot of people are ticked with this company/program anyway.
I liked it but it did come too late and was archaic.
Any idea for the new year's alternatives?

(edited post script: I guess it wasn't quite clear that I was referring to the quicktax programs)

[ December 09, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: archangel ]

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Many Banks offer online PFM (Personal Financial Management) online at no (or little) extra charge. Certainly much less expensive than Intuit.

Also I imagine that Intuit also offers online PFM for a fee... plus there are other vendors doing this as well. As for Taxes, there are lots of options for doing your taxes online.

I for one am not losing any sleep over Intuit not offering a version for next year.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I used QuickTaxWeb last year.

All Mac users need need is:
Mac OS 8.6, Mac OS 9.0, Mac OS 9.1, Mac OS X
Netscape Navigator 4.x or higher
128-bit encryption
Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled
See details here.

I found I had to use Netscape 7.x rather than Mozilla or Firebird. Safari will still probably not work as the javascript appears to be very nutscrape specific.

Some of you may not like having your tax info on their webservers but "You have zero privacy anyways"

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also recieved info from Quicktax and no Mac program is listed....however, I am sure that they will release a Mac version about February of 2004. It is always later and more expensive than the PC version.

boomer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re:Quicktax Web, Netscape 7.x requires osX . Others have mentioned Grifftax favourably in past discussions. I haven't used it but am pretty fed up with Quicktax due to the reasons mentioned in previous discussions and above.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Intuit??? They suck! They buy up all the software in Canada that creates Tax software and then somehow "magically" the price gets bumped up to the price of their software and all of a sudden a program that once allowed users to do as many peoples tax as they needed to now only allows for a total of 5 as that is as many people should be in a family as according to them,

Its probably one of the reasons they are under invesitgation by the Canadian Governement for monopolizing the tax software arena and eliminating competition.

I switched to Griftax last year and have never been happier! The amount of people I can do is unlimited and there is actually phone based support if you need help unlike Intuit that keeps you on a long distance call that you have to pay for because they do not offer an support number.

I personally hope Intuit gets screwed up the ass! There current business model sucks in my opinion

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I tried Griftax four years ago, and it was a nightmare. Worst program I ever had the misfortune to use. When I called their support line for help, and complained, I actually got Mr. Griff himself as he was proud to tell me.

Trouble was, the guy had the tax ability of am early ed kindergarten student .

Glad to hear someone else could use the program. I have been concerned about how Mr. Grif was going to make a living for some time now!

Cheers

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I like to use a pencil, an eraser, a pen, and a calculator. Very reliable, and annual upgrades are easy & inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
There's a whole bunch of online options out there now. Last year (or this year actually), I decided that we were not going to buy QuickTax and simply go for a cheaper alternative such as CanTax(?) and H&R Block online.

It all went smoothly enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used QuickTax web with Safari and didn't have a problem. I plan to do the same this year as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, I just tried (QuickTaxWeb) with safari 1.0.1 (v85.6) and it *works* now! Not the case back in February!

[ December 10, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Script Kiddie ]

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I just tried Taxwiz in Safari/Panther. no go. Even tried it using the IE/Win User Agent in the Debug menu :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Just called Intuit.
Mac version will be available Jan 30

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Mac version will be available Jan 30
I have heard that line before and not seen it unitl March.... :(

We need to verify this because as nice a it is to say you can switch programs, it is still easier just to continue with QuickTax if you have used it for a number of years.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Quicktax for Mac is listed at distributors now too. Also, they sort of list it on their site:

Upgrades for Mac Tax year 2003

They are always so friggin late with the product. Other than that, I've been doing my taxes with it for the last 6 years and like the product.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The Mac version will be available Jan 30

A more accurate statement would be "The Mac version will be available January 30th, where by 'January 30th' we mean 'Sometime between March 15th and April 15th, and in limited quantities'."

I will use it again this year, because as mentioned above it is just a whole bunch easier to keep using it after you have done so for a few years.

--PB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts