Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gee, what did I ever do to Apple? They just sent me an email about my Panther order being delayed to "on or before Oct. 29th".

That's what I get for buying a G5, SHEESH!!

sob... sob... sob... whine...

-Howie

·
Registered
470 Posts
snif ... snif ... snif

Apple sent me an email that my Panther had shipped, but it didn't arive.

Shoot. Now I'll have to listen to the lucky ehMacers gloating all weekend

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I got the same e-mail saying my Panther shipping date is now "on or before October 29th" as you did. Bummer, eh? :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
I received my panther upgrade this morning... all I have to say is wow... it is a huge an improvement over Jaguar, especially when it comes to the speed and responsiveness of the GUI.

I tried it out on my iBook 500 to see how much of a difference it makes and it is truly amazing how zippy this OS is, not to mention Expose which is going to make my life a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I got the same note on Friday saying my order had been delayed until the 29th, but today I got a note saying my order had been shipped on Friday. Weird.

At least I've still got the Panther seeds to keep me content.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Goobernatorial, I assume your iBook/500 doesn't take advantage of Quartz Extreme? I am ccurious about this, as a friend of mine with an iMac DV/SE has a 400MHz G3 running OS 9.0.1. We were antsy abut going up to OS X, but I too find a nice speed enhancement after wiping the drive and installing Panther on my G4/450. BUT, my GPU can run QE. She won't be able to. Hence, my question about you running QE or not.

So, it feels usable?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apple sent me a shipping notice, so I'm not mad at them anymore. :D

-Howie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, my copy shipped on Saturday. WoohoO!

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
MacAholic the performance on G3s is startling compared to Jaguar. We put it on a G3 400 with only 256 megs ram and it was very good - not quite as smooth as a QE equipped but much much better than Jaguar.
RAM helps a bunch - 384 minimum is good :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Thanks, Macdoc. Good to know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts