Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has confirmed this, but Apple has made good on its promise of eliminating OS 9 (other than via Classic emulation). I had a look in the startup disk on my new iMac and OS 9 is nowhere to be found. Not that I am shedding tears over this (for the record, I never cared much for OS 9), but thought I would let others know...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patrick Gant:
Not sure if anyone else has confirmed this, but Apple has made good on its promise of eliminating OS 9 (other than via Classic emulation). I had a look in the startup disk on my new iMac and OS 9 is nowhere to be found. Not that I am shedding tears over this (for the record, I never cared much for OS 9), but thought I would let others know...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, that was the announcement back on Jan 7 of this year, but there is a caveat to this. Apple is producing a small number of systems that will still boot up in OS 9 only because of Quark and the Education market that have been slow to catch up. (Or in Quarks case, pretty much on their usual track of incompetence)

I will miss 9. I guess because I have grown up with the Mac starting with Mac OS 6.0.4!

As well, I find being able to dual boot is nice because sometimes things go a bit screwy in 10 and there are still some user-hostile bits, such as the bizarre and unix-like Permissions hierarchy for files. It's completely confusing...

But OS X is the way to go.

:cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Strongblade:

Mac 6.0.4 - ha! I started using Macs with Mac OS 1.0! I've still got my 128K logic board, and if I looked in some boxes, I bet you I could find my MacWrite, MacPaint and Multiplan disks. Gosh, I think I've even got a copy of Microsoft Chart someplace.

As for OS 9; Goodbye, rest in peace old friend. Now let's move on and enjoy OS X.

John

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patrick Gant:
Not sure if anyone else has confirmed this, but Apple has made good on its promise of eliminating OS 9 (other than via Classic emulation). I had a look in the startup disk on my new iMac and OS 9 is nowhere to be found. Not that I am shedding tears over this (for the record, I never cared much for OS 9), but thought I would let others know...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's old news. Of course there are still a few people finding it out, and wanting a hack to run MacOS 9. So far, there are no hacks to be able to boot MacOS 9 on the new machines. No one is adventurous (or crazy) enough to hack the ROM or firmware on a new PowerMac.

As for finding a copy of MacOS 9, you're right, it's not on the startup disk, it's on the restore disk, and there are ways to install it from the restore disk without doing a full restore. You have to find the hidden disk images and copy them over to your HD and then install MacOS 9 from the images.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts