ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running the latest version of Mojave and have just noticed something. I used to have an option to replace or merge when moving a folder with the same name. Another person here at work has the same issue. Not sure if this was an Apple feature removed in an update or what, but I cannot get this option to work. I have tried holding the option key when moving the folder but that does nothing. There is a terminal command but that is not a solution I am looking for as that just adds more steps.

Does anyone know if there is a setting to turn on to get this functionality back?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I thought it was hold option when dragging/dropping. I just did it in Big Sur mind you. Two folders named test, with different contents. Held option and dropped the first folder into the finder window where the 2nd folder was, and I got the prompt.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was hold option when dragging/dropping. I just did it in Big Sur mind you. Two folders named test, with different contents. Held option and dropped the first folder into the finder window where the 2nd folder was, and I got the prompt.
I am using Mojave, another person working here is on Big Sur and we both do not get the option to merge. I made a test folder called "Test" with 2 jpegs in it. I made another "Test" folder in another location with the same 2 jpegs + 1 .ai file. I moved the Test folder with 3 items to the location with the Test folder with 2 items and only had the option to replace or stop. She has the same as well. I have tried holding option as well to do this but with no luck.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Ok, gotcha, and this is weird, it seems like a pretty dumb bug.

On my desktop, I have a folder test, with a sub folder "untitled folder"
In my home, I have a folder test, with only index.html.

First time I drop the first folder in the finder window with the second, I get the merge option and it merges.
If I do the exact same thing again, there's no merge option, only replace. If I replace, index.html gets deleted.

So it looks like you only get merge, if the contents of the first folder are not in the second one!

·
Premium Member
15,406 Posts
I'm not sure what Mac OS version this is supposed to work with:
Normally, macOS will warn that a folder with the same name exists in the location you are dragging it to, with options to Stop the process or Replace everything in the destination with the dragged folder's files. By holding Option, the notification adds a third Merge button, as well as advising it will preserve all newer versions of files, and how many files will change.

Or like so many other little features that the mac os versions seem to be dropping, maybe apple just left this feature out of the later "new and improved???" OS versions...??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure what Mac OS version this is supposed to work with:

View attachment 93658

Or like so many other little features that the mac os versions seem to be dropping, maybe apple just left this feature out of the later "new and improved???" OS versions...??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======
The feature was definitely there before. I used it a lot when merging font folders in packaged indesign files. Was a very handy feature that now just seems to be gone on 2 Macs running 2 different OS's (Mojave and Big Sur). I am sure the feature has been there a while as well but would not be surprised Apple removed as why would any forward thinking company want you to retain features you had in the past?

When googling I did see the ditto option but that is a step backwards when you could just move a folder with the same name and simply select merge.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,331 Posts
Tried it in Mojave and no "merge" although I have never tried this before on another OS.

·
Premium Member
15,406 Posts
FWIW, this is what Apple says about merging folders with duplicates using Mojave, plus another hint/suggestion about using "smart folders":

Merge two folders with the same name
If you have two folders with identical names at two different locations, you can merge them into a single folder.

On your Mac, press and hold the Option key, then drag one folder to the location that contains a folder with the same name. In the dialogue that appears, click Merge.

The Merge option appears only if one of the folders contains items that are not in the other folder. If the folders contain different versions of identically named files, the only options are Stop or Replace.

To organise your files automatically, use Smart Folders. Smart Folders automatically gather files by type and subject matter, and are instantly updated as you change, add and remove files on your Mac.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, this is what Apple says about merging folders with duplicates using Mojave, plus another hint/suggestion about using "smart folders":

- Patrick
=======
Thanks for that, I think that is what I always did in the past. It is like muscle memory and then I could not repeat it, the key is not having any of the same files in the one folder. This answers my question, thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts