Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lifetime membership
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few weeks and it would appear as if both Apple.ca and Apple.com
have stopped selling refurbished Mac Mini's, Is this a tell tale sign that the Mac
Mini in the stores will soon be discontinued?

Stay tuned...I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Will Apple come up with an Apple T.V. with a brain to replace the Mac Mini?

We certainly hope so.

Dave :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
A Mac Mini refresh could be in the works. But I don't see how this would be a good thing to merge these two products together. Remember that this is Apple's entry-level or most simple Mac.

I use a Mac Mini as a desktop replacement with an Apple 20" Cinema. For me, this visually looks better within my work setup compared to an iMac.

AppleTV is intended more of as an entertainment centre in my view. I would love to see a price drop to $249 and then I might buy it. I guess we will soon see in January.

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
There's Mac Minis in the refurb store today. :) As of posting both the 1.83 C2D and the 2.0 C2D are in stock.

Yesterday the older CD models were also in stock.

The Mini's immenint demise has been reported on extensively as of late... so it may well happen... but the refurbs are still there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Maybe they are just in high demand... thus the shortage. These are amazing computers for the price, and perfectly suited for the majority of computer tasks (except for gaming probably).

I'm using a Core Solo 1.5, and just added in another 1GB ram (2GB total), and it is not too bad at all. In the new year, I might attempt the hack to replace the processor with a Core Duo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's been a few weeks and it would appear as if both Apple.ca and Apple.com
have stopped selling refurbished Mac Mini's, Is this a tell tale sign that the Mac
Mini in the stores will soon be discontinued?

Stay tuned...I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Will Apple come up with an Apple T.V. with a brain to replace the Mac Mini?

We certainly hope so.

It is Christmas, people are buying them as gifts or for them self's. And I doubt the mini is going to discontinue anytime soon. I think Apple wouldn't have updated the mini to there current specs if they didn't think they would sell a few million. And it's a much cheaper transition for pc user to try a mac without spending a large amount for an imac.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Two versions of Mac mini are currently available in the Apple Store under Referbs.

Refurbished Mac mini 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
80GB hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 memory
Price: $539.00

Refurbished Mac mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 memory
Learn More
Price: $719.00

So, they're still there, you just need to time it right.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Refurb Mac Minis have been on the .ca store quite frequently since late Oct. I've purchased 2 since mid November. It seems that the refurb stock comes online early in the morning (5:OO am) and minis and macbooks sell out by mid-morning. $500 -$539 for a mac mini is attractive to lots of folks. I bought a C2Duo 1.83 to use as a media centre and ended up using it to replace my aging P4 pc as my daily unit!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The mini upgrade was not mentioned when it was upgraded until some one asked.
Is this not a sign? Would a new apple desktop have a video card in them, like the cube? I would think about a mini if it had a video card.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would find a used one with a half gig of RAM, it would be cheaper. eBay's always a good choice.

As for LCDs, here's a good place to find them.

·
Lifetime membership
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was on at 2 or 3AM the other night and some some [email protected]$$ deals on the refurb site! Like somebody said above, ya gotta time it right.
That just goes to show...
I'm just not on the site at the right time.

But the refurb's are slowing down and there is no way I'd pay more than $529.
for the MacMini that I got in my sig that's for sure.

I do hope that Apple does decide to keep both...
Upgrade the Apple T.V. by giving it a MacMini brain and keep the MacMini.

I suppose only time will tell,
Nice to have it on my wish list though.

It'd be nice in the interim if Apple put an HDMI output on the MacMini

·
Registered
913 Posts
There are two guides at: o0o.it :: Mac Mini Intel Core Duo Upgrade Guide and Merom Mac Mini Hack

I actually went ahead with the hack just two weeks ago. A brand shiny new Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00Ghz) now replaces the original Core Solo. It is running completely stable, and feels like a brand new computer.

If you attempt this hack, you obviously need to be very careful with all the small parts & cables. Removing the CPU heat sink is the most difficult part, as there are 4 corner mounts made of plastic that need to be removed. Be careful to not break these. Also, remember to use thermal grease or you will fry the processor.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
Also, remember to use thermal grease or you will fry the processor.
Too much thermal grease is just as bad as too little. Pay attention to how much was there when you remove the "old" processor, or just do what I do and remember the Brylcreem slogan: "a little dab'll do ya!" :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.