Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed recently that I only have 3G on my 7+. I have always had LTE in my work area and around the city but now that I have been watching it I notice it is never in LTE. I compared with another phone with Rogers and it was in LTE so the network is available here. All I can think of is there is some hardware or software issue. Any way to diagnose this? Running latest version of iOS and have restarted numerous times with no change. Everything else works as it should and data works with 3G just never a connection to LTE. I did check in system preferences and LTE is on as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I have encountered this before, usually after upgrading to a new OS. I cured it by doing a complete wipe and restore of the software to get rid of the glitch. At any rate that would be the first thing I would try given your issue. Remember you must turn off the 'Find My iPhone' feature before you can begin the restore. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I just noticed recently that I only have 3G on my 7+. I have always had LTE in my work area and around the city but now that I have been watching it I notice it is never in LTE. I compared with another phone with Rogers and it was in LTE so the network is available here. All I can think of is there is some hardware or software issue. Any way to diagnose this? Running latest version of iOS and have restarted numerous times with no change. Everything else works as it should and data works with 3G just never a connection to LTE. I did check in system preferences and LTE is on as well.
Under cellular in settings, is carrier set to automatic? How about cellular data options? Turn off Roaming. You might be inadvertently roaming on a network that doesn't allow LTE.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to wait before doing a clean install, that can be a headache setting everything up again.

Roaming is on, tried turning it off as well no change, still 3G. LTE is enabled for voice and data. I also tried setting it to data only again no change.

Might just leave it as is and see what happens after the next software or iOS update and hope it fixes it.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Going to wait before doing a clean install, that can be a headache setting everything up again.

Roaming is on, tried turning it off as well no change, still 3G. LTE is enabled for voice and data. I also tried setting it to data only again no change.

Might just leave it as is and see what happens after the next software or iOS update and hope it fixes it.
Assume you've tried a network reset?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
this also happens when the provider is having congestion issues. if after the network reset it persists - i would call tech support the provider and report the issue.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Everything else works as it should and data works with 3G just never a connection to LTE.
Well, actually LTE isn't exactly a connection method per se:

WHAT IS LTE?

LTE stands for Long Term Evolution, and isn’t as much a technology as it is the path followed to achieve 4G speeds. As it stands, most of the time when your phone displays the “4G” symbol in the upper right corner, it doesn’t really mean it. When the ITU-R set the minimum speeds for 4G, they were a bit unreachable, despite the amount of money tech manufacturers put into achieving them. In response, the regulating body decided that LTE, the name given to the technology used in pursuit of those standards, could be labeled as 4G if it provided a substantial improvement over the 3G technology.

Immediately networks began advertising their connections as 4G LTE, a marketing technique that allowed them to claim next-gen connectivity without having to reach the actual required number first; it would be like the U.S. claiming they had landed on the moon because they got pretty close and the spaceship that got them there was a lot better than the previous ship. It’s not entirely trickery though, despite inconsistent speeds depending on location and network, the difference between 3G and 4G is immediately noticeable.

To make matters more confusing, you’ll also likely come across LTE-A at some point. This stands for Long Term Evolution Advanced, and it takes us a step closer to proper 4G. It offers faster speeds and greater stability than normal LTE. It’s also backward compatible and works by aggregating channels, so instead of connecting to the strongest signal in your vicinity, you can download data from multiple sources at the same time.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/4g-vs-lte/

What is 3G, 4G, and LTE – and Why Should I Care?
https://www.ianswerguy.com/what-is-3g-4g-lte/

And add some confusion as to how Apple actually displays the network and speed method on their iPhones which doesn't help in some cases.

- Patrick
======

1 - 7 of 7 Posts